Author Topic: Headlight: Dims out upon throttle  (Read 2458 times)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Headlight: Dims out upon throttle
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
Being that my commute starts early in the morning, dark or nearly dark, I have noticed that the headlight dims out for a brief moment upon initial acceleration from a complete stop. Is this common? Is there a fix? regulator / rectifier?

ps, I have read some posts of the headlight issues from other users, but nothing on the subject of what I am experiencing. I can assure you it's not a battery issue, or a switch.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:15:07 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Headlight: Dims out upon throttle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
Do you headlights dim when you come to a stop? This is a normal feature on the super 8, however they should come back on as soon as you start rolling on new models and rev the engine on older models.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
No

As noted, only when I just start to apply throttle from a dead stop. Which is kinda weird. Again, it briefly dims out and comes back on again. Almost like it loses voltage for a fraction of a second, and regains power / voltage. Additionally, it's not intermittent and is repeatably consistent. That's why I asked if this is common.

It would make more sense if it indeed dimmed out as I roll off the throttle (and also while on the brakes, and having a blinker on too); a voltage drop off when rolling off the throttle, therefore, the potential issue is the battery and or regulator / rectifier
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:44:29 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
If it doesn't dim when you come to a stop you have a bad light control module, common problem on these. What year is you're s8?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »

Would you happen to have a link of the schematic for the S8, and an approximate location to locate this module? Additionally, would you (or anyone) have a manufacturer (or equiv. ) part number for a replacement, if needed?

On the other hand, my S8 is under warranty. It just sucks that I will need to make a 50 min. trip (each way) to bring it in once again (a separate issue). <edit> Then again, I do happen to have another authorized Kymco Dealer within minutes of me, I suppose I can bring it there to have them diagnose the issue......duh! I planned on bringing it there for my 200 mile service anyways. I just happened to had purchased the scooter at the other dealer, fyi.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:23:23 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

tjupille

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:52 PM »
The charging system on the S8 is marginal (actually, fairly common for GY6 engines in general). The light control module dims the headlights when the output voltage from the alternator drops below a certain level (i.e., at low rpm). The lights should dim at idle and then come back on when the revs increase.

One possibility is that you have the idle speed turned up a bit high so that the lights stay bright at idle and then dim as the rpms drop a bit on takeoff. That said, the light control module *is* problematic, so taking it in to a dealer under warranty is what I would do.

AFAIK, the light control module is proprietary to Kymco. It's located under the front cowl. You can look at the parts fiche here:
http://kymcopartsonline.com/catalog/search_diagram_detail.php?s_fk_manufacturers_id=21&s_fk_model_year_id=1&s_fk_scooter_model_id=18&s_parts_diagram_id=447

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »
Thanks for your input and link.

I got off work kinda late tonight, so the sun was descending. Due to the S8 headlights having very low lighting, I ride with the brights on during the day. That said, I rode with the brights on while on my way home. As you had mentioned, indeed, the lights dimmed significantly once stopped (based upon the reflection of the car(s) in front of me). But still brighter than the regular lighting, which I validated with the light switch. Once I twisted the throttle, the lights immediately brightened back up. Opposite of my initial post.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
Rode into work early today, in the dark.

I had payed closer attention to the lighting this morning. Interesting how much the lights dim while at idle, then brighten back up upon throttle. That said, I think maybe the "glitch" / or dim I had initially posted is / was a result of the voltage drop upon the motor coming to an idle when stopping for a brief moment for at a stop sign, or signal light for that matter. The glitch / dim was more pronounced / obvious when stopping at a stop sign, because the stop is / was so brief, then back on the throttle again to move onward.

My conclusion; I feel the control module is fine. I just need to get adjusted to the characteristics of the Kymco scoot.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
I've had several issues with the headlights on my 2012 Super 8 150. When my LCM failed, the lights shut off completely when I started moving. Dealer replaced it for free under warranty.
Since then, they have acted up a couple of times since. I went through and cleaned all the electrical connections in the headlight system, and found water in most of them. After blowing them all out with electrical contact cleaner and a can of compressed air, I haven't had a single problem.
The connectors are not sealed from dirt and moisture worth a crap. Check and clean them, and see if it helps the issue. If it doesn't, then definitely take it to the dealer while it's under warranty.

The headlights are a safety issue, and should get you in as a first priority customer!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()