Author Topic: new member and new owner of a venox 250  (Read 8099 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: new member and new owner of a venox 250
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:56 AM »
Are you sure about the carb settings? I don't want to sound stupid but you did blow fluid or air thru all the ports in the carb. body!?

Since you had cable issues isn't it possible it just a cable adjustment or idle speed adjustment?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 02:58:26 AM »
I blew air and carb cleaner thru everything. It actually started running like this before I started troubleshooting the throttle. I have no idea whats going on so I'm willing to try any suggestions from anyone

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 03:10:47 AM »
It's old so Valve adjustment should be done cold, and it sure couldn't hurt. I'd also check real close where the carb mounts to the engine. Those rubber coated manifolds all get cracks. It may be you have a vacuum leak there. Or the insulter on the engine side. They also crack, and you can get an aluminum replacement w/ "O"rings for like 15 bucks or less.

Is the auto choke working? Have you actually seen the plunger work?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »
try turning the idle stop screw in a few turns, maybe the idle rpm is too low.

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
I'm going to go thru the car s once again because the filter is a little dirty maybe something passed thru and got in the carbs. Something else I was wondering was if any of y'all fellas every changed out the factory footpegs with something aftermarket. The factory ones are a little small for my feet. Any suggestions

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:55 PM »
Hey there Oldspower.
Mate, when you pulled the carbs down, did you do them one at a time or both together ? The reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure the jet needles are different. Hey Max, if you're reading this, is that correct ? Just a thought. And do yourself a favour and get a new air filter. You won't believe the dramas that can cause.
Regards, Hairy Bob.
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
I did them one at a time. I'll get the new air filter tomorrow hopefully a parts store around here has one. I was gonna go back thru the carbs today but got off work late and now I'm being lazy.

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
So I went thru the carbs again. Now she starts up but I have to give it just a little gas to keep it running. The idle screw is turned all the up but still seems to idle to low. I haven't messed with the mixture screws at all. Do y'all think that is the problem. Any ideas

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
YES!

Turn either mix screw in either direction. You will find the rpm going up. As it does compensate w/ the speed screw. Keep repeating this till the Mix screw makes the idle go down again, and back up to the highest rpm. Then back off 1/8th - 1/4 turn.
Repeat the process with the other carb. That will get it for you.

Make your adjustments in 1/4 turn increments, and wait about 5 seconds to see the effect. If no effect keep going. If the mix screw goes all the way in... Turn it back to the start point, and go the other way 1/4 turn at a time.
Getting it to idle is the hard part. Adjusting the idle is the easy part.

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Thanks zombie I'm gonna go do that in a few it's pretty hot out here in west Texas. Plus I need to find my offset screwdriver to get to the mixture screws

oldspower24

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:38 PM »
So I go to adjust my mixture screws and when I got them to where the bike was running good I would give the bike gas and the mixture screw would tighten back in. And to make matters worse I can't get the bike to shift out of 2nd gear. It won't shift down or up. I've never had this many problems with a bike before I'm getting to frustrated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 12:46:36 AM »
The MIX screws really can't move they should have either a spring or an "O" ring down near the threads that keeps them stable.

It's easy for someone like me to tear the engine down to find all the issues but I think you may have hit the wall so to speak. It may cost a few hundred bucks for a local bike shop to square it all up for you.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 09:31:12 AM »
are your carbs balanced? since you took it apart 2 times or more have you balanced them yet? easy way to tell if this is causing your problems is to feel the exhaust coming out of both pipes when it is just about to die in idle, both cylinders have to be running for the bike to sit comfortably in idle. if one is not then it will stall, so when you pull the choke it makes the firing cylinder work harder to sustain idle. check that your plugs are both brown too and not flooded. because that can also cause idle to fail.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
Hey there Oldspower.
Mate, when you pulled the carbs down, did you do them one at a time or both together ? The reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure the jet needles are different. Hey Max, if you're reading this, is that correct ? Just a thought. And do yourself a favour and get a new air filter. You won't believe the dramas that can cause.
Regards, Hairy Bob.
yes the main jets and  needle are different, and air filter must be changed if it has been exposed to elements for more then 2 years. when i got my bike it was a new air filter done only 100km or so and looking like new, but it had been sitting in the show room for 5 years.
after my 3rd air filter change which the 2nd one i replaced was dirty as hell still worked better then the 1st one.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 03:56:22 AM »
yes the main jets and  needle are different, and air filter must be changed if it has been exposed to elements for more then 2 years. when i got my bike it was a new air filter done only 100km or so and looking like new, but it had been sitting in the show room for 5 years.
after my 3rd air filter change which the 2nd one i replaced was dirty as hell still worked better then the 1st one.

+1 ten times!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()