Author Topic: YUASA reply for battery upgrade  (Read 900 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
YUASA reply for battery upgrade
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »
I recently rec'd this reply from the tech at the YUASA web site.
I asked about an upgrade for our stock YTX9 batteries - this was before a member pointed me to the size chart.
Yuasa's remarks confirmed what I saw in the chart.
from the email reply from Yuasa Inc.:
You can look into a YT12A-BS which has a 175CCA and is the same size as
the YTX9. Also we offer a YTZ12S with 210CCA, this difference in this
battery is the height which is 4.375" versus 4.1875" with the YTX9BS. If
you have the top clearance the YTZ should work for you.

I went with the YTZ12S battery, rather than the YTZ14S which is the same size --- due to the 1/2 lb diff between the two. Photo of the battery cover trimming needed to install this 5mm taller battery - when it gets here.
Stig,....still learning
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: YUASA reply for battery upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
Is your OEM acting up? You might recall I had two OEMs that went bad. The YUASA the dealer replaced was under Kymco warranty and cost me zero.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
Is your OEM acting up? You might recall I had two OEMs that went bad. The YUASA the dealer replaced was under Kymco warranty and cost me zero.
They offered to take a look at my stock Yuasa....but suddenly couldn't speak English when I offered to go the difference in $$ and order an upgraded Yuasa thru them. So, bought myself a battery which I figure will last me the life of this scoot. I'm a bit anal about batteries and tires, oils, wax, plugs, roofing shingles, etc.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Plan on replacing th battery every 2 years or so. Some last up to 5 years but most don't.
I found if you change the electrolyte ( even in maintenance free Batts.) when the battery starts to show signs of slowing down you can get "like new" performance again, and extend the life. A one gallon box of electrolyte is about 8 bucks, and will out last the scooter.

The electrolyte in the battery doesn't really break down but it does evaporate over time. Even in maintenance free batteries. 

Just for good measure... Wives Tale: Putting a battery on concrete drains it. Not true!
Batteries are Temperature Sensitive, and concrete pulls heat away from the battery. It will read less CCA on concrete but pick it up/ Temp. rises, and CCA are back to normal.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()