Author Topic: GT300i Maintenance schedule questions  (Read 1524 times)

KentonLynne

• View Profile
GT300i Maintenance schedule questions
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:27:56 AM »
I've got about  6000 miles on my GT300i now and getting ready to do some regular maintenance before it becomes warm enough to ride up here in Minnesota.  My questions have to do with the maintenance schedule I've found in the service manual.   I'm fine with changing the oil, and filter and tranny oil, but am balking at some of the other items they are recommending replacing:  namely the spark plug, air cleaner, brake fluid and coolant.   Is all that really necessary every 6000 miles?   Can anyone with significant miles on their 300 give me an opinion as to whether they've found that any or all these items really need replacement that often?   

Thanks for any input.

agilebda

• View Profile
Re: GT300i Maintenance schedule questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:16:14 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the brake fluid too much. Check the brake pads.
I always change my spark plug whenever changing oil. You may want to inspect the drive belt for wear and cracks. Your belt should be good though.

I managed to purchase a kymco diagnostic computer on ebay so I plug in every now and then to see if any codes pop up. All is good so far.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »
the air cleaner depends on how dusty is where you ride ,check it every oil change , the brake fluid and antifreeze every two years, change it,  and that will keep your scooter in good health, and safe to ride,. 

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
I agree with DeeDee. I still have my original air filter at 33k but will break down and replace it soon. I've cleaned it a couple times with compressed air. Presently I am replacing brake pads. The rear pads hung up and quit sliding and are about shot. Fronts still have pad but changing to be safe. Planning on fluid flushes this year. Belt is good to about 13-14k. My only issue is gear lube looks ify last two changes. Thought it might be from threads that stripped on fill hole but may be something worse. Not going to worry about it until I need to. I put in iridium plug and will leave it til death does part us. In general she has been very low maintenance.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
I am also curious about required maintenance to keep up with warranty considerations.
If we took our scoots to the shop for all maintenance, we would all be bankrupt.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

KentonLynne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:23 AM »
Thanks to all the fine souls who responded to my post about this.   I think what I'm going to do for now is change the tranny and engine oil, clean the air filter (unless it looks unsalvageable) and maybe replace the spark plug with an iridium tipped one.  I'm going to not worry about the brake and coolant fluids for now.   I can't convince myself that those should be going bad yet (I replace the coolant at about 60,000K on my cars and I've NEVER replaced the brake fluid).  As someone posted, you'd go broke having all this scheduled maintenance done at a shop.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
Here are some facts about the coolant and brake fluid...

Coolants: There are several types... The traditional usually the "green" ones have silicates in them to help lubricate the water pump, etc. in the system... Silicates usually last around two years after that they turn into a white powdery substance that may block passages inside... The other types that uses the Organic Acid Technology is the long lasting coolant usually up to 5 years... these don't contain any silicates and borates...

Brake Fluid:  Brake fluids are hydoscopics meaning they absorb moisture over time... the effect would be a lower boiling point compared to new and fresh fluids.  This means your brake fluid will boil earlier than normal which may result to poor braking performance...

Just saying...  ;)

Ride safe guys...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()