Author Topic: my bike idles very rough and dies without rev ?!?!  (Read 1257 times)

vcreation

• View Profile
my bike idles very rough and dies without rev ?!?!
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »
I was having this problem for some time now. yesterday I just done spark-plug, oil change, air filter and spray cabby cleaner into air duct. and I get zero improvement. no matter if engine hot or cold. what other problem should I look for??

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: my bike idles very rough and dies without rev ?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
Not familar with your model but if it is carbureted I'd clean the carb. Bowl, jets and all. Not sure that spraying into the air duct really does any real cleaning.
Wayne

apwhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
Tell me a bit more.  Is this scoot ridden daily?  What grade of fuel are you using?  Do you add any fuel additives (Seafoam, MMO)?  When did you last change the air filter?  Does the engine bog down at higher speeds?  Have you ever adjusted the valves?

If you are mechanically inclined, remove the carb and clean the jets using copper wire filaments.  If that sounds totally foreign to you, then youtube it.  That might work and it's free, and takes about 30 minutes.

Adjusting the valves is a good idea.  But Kymco valves seem to hold well.  That is also free and takes about 30 minutes for a rookie.  You can youtube that as well.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:05:21 AM »
Two more things to look at... Turn the idle speed screw clockwise to bring the idle up to a point it will stay running. Then turn the idle MIX screw either way and look for an increase in speed. As it increases turn down the idle speed screw to compensate. Keep doing this until the MIX screw stops having an effect or actually decreases the speed. When it decreases the rpm go back to the highest point, and 1/4 turn beyond that. That should set you straight

I should have said to check this first. The auto choke... Remove the 2 little screws that hold the retainer in, and pull out the choke as a unit. You will see a tiny "O" ring where it goes into the carb body. Don't damage it.
Now turn on the Ign key, and carefully watch the brass pin. It should move outward very slowly to an extension of about 4mm. That tells you it is working. Let it cool w/ the key off for a few minuets, and reinstall it if it is good. Careful of the O ring.
If it does NOT move during the test put a meter or test light on the two wires, and you will see 12v with the key on. If not track down the issue.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()