Author Topic: Dang it! Going backwards with electrical issues  (Read 2484 times)

marietta_ken

• View Profile
Dang it! Going backwards with electrical issues
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:39:20 AM »
Bought a used, not running 2007 People S 125 recently. Prior owner advised that battery was not charging properly and the bike had been sitting for a couple of years. I brought it home, cleaned the carb and got it running very nicely. Just needed to dial in idle and pilot adjustment before moving on to the charging issue.

Cutting to the chase, I now don't have a flippin' spark for some reason. The following is the sequence of events:

While trying to dial in the carb adjustments, I had some real problems getting started when the engine was cold. LOTS of turning it over, throttling and such. Would ultimately start, then bog it's way up to running nicely after a couple of minutes. All this starting was done via jumper cables to a large marine battery I have in my garage. That's been working well along the way to getting this thing running, so hopefully nobody tells me that is a problem. Once the bike was running, it would fire right back up if switched off.

Once I had it started, I proceeded to take a reading at the battery terminals to see if the voltage would rise to the rated 13.5-14.5 Vdc when throttling up. It didn't. There was no change. I checked AC voltage across yellow and pink wires at the Regulator/Rectifier (which I just replaced based on measurements I took on the previous one). The AC voltage did change, going up to about 17 Vac with throttle. I took that as a good sign that the Stator was doing its thing pretty well -- though I don't know if that level is acceptable. I did some power off measurements on the charging system and everything seemed to be good/within spec, though still not getting the expected charging voltage.

Tried to start from cold (sat about 30 min). Just kept turning over, but no fire.  I decided to put in a new plug in case I had fouled the original with all my carb messing. That's when I discovered that I had NO spark. Measurements of coil seem right, though cranking doesn't seem to put a voltage to the coil.

So now I'm wondering why I can't get the bloody thing started -- or even firing. Did I kill my CDI? Is my Stator showing that it was bad all along??

I'm at a loss and getting frustrated. Need to figure out next move to make.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Dang it! Going backwards with electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
Guessing you're dealing with multiple issues here. Get it running off your big battery, check voltage at stator and then test through the charging system until you reach the battery, find where the charging volts go away and you've found one problem. Get the battery tested. Once you know you're good to that point, you can start investigating the rest of the system - there's little point in poking around in the ignition if you don't know that it's getting good power in the first place. If I had to bet I'd put my money on a bad rectifier AND an issue somewhere been battery and coil.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()