Author Topic: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?  (Read 18686 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
for me
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
It stems from a love for motor scooters since childhood.
And they are funner!.

Had plenty of motor cycles over the years but, I see motor scooters only from here on out.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
Re: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
I can't carry much on any motorcycle I've ever had (and I've had plenty)

Well, you're generalizing there.. I won't own a motorcycle unless it's got saddlebags, minimum.

And saddlebags can always be removed.

My GS's license plate is FLTBED for a reason.. :) And I had a kid tell his Dad that he wanted to ride with me because he could lay down and sleep across the back of my bike..

My other two are also wearing tank bags and saddlebags.  And yes, my scooters wear a rear topbox, but that weight is higher than I like. Common sense is required with packing anything, but I can haul a lot more on my motorcycles than I can with a scooter. I've been playing the packing game on two wheels for 30+ years.

Even on vacation, 1000+ miles from home, I have plenty of packing room left over, even though I'm hauling days worth of clothes, full camping gear, extra tools, and cooking gear.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:27:01 PM by paper »

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
It's no contest for a city commuter.  A scooter is not only fun in traffic, it's hugely practical.  I can't carry much on any motorcycle I've ever had (and I've had plenty), but a flat-floor scooter can carry huge loads, down low where heavy loads should be carried.  Also scooters can park anywhere for free, but motorcycles can't.  A cruiser uses an entire car-parking space, but a scooter can fit any any little corner nook or cranny - even indoors if necessary.  I can fit 2 cars and a scooter in my garage, but only one car and a motorcycle.

This year, the malls were packing during shopping high holidays.  On my scooter, I simply parked at the front door and walked in.

Then there's scooter rider humor: if I drove a cruiser, people would think I'm an old man.

You're going to think I'm picking on you again JJ, but what do you mean by "huge loads"?  This guy has carried more than a few cases of beer, and handled a lot better than it did with the old lady on back! 

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 03:16:31 AM »
It's better to be called an "old man" than to be called a "girlie" on a cute scoot...

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 03:21:11 AM »
I outgrew caring what others thought of me long, long ago.
I ride to impress only one person. The guy holding the handlebars. :)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:08 AM »
Different strokes for different folks...really...

I got a scooter for one single reason... high gas prices!... period.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 03:28:07 AM »
Different strokes for different folks...really...

I got a scooter for one single reason... high gas prices!... period.

100% agreement with the different strokes. I ride scooters because they make me smile. :)

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 05:26:00 AM »
I outgrew caring what others thought of me long, long ago.
I ride to impress only one person. The guy holding the handlebars. :)

Well said!
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:04 AM »
Well, you're generalizing there.. I won't own a motorcycle unless it's got saddlebags,

You're stretching things, more than a little bit.  Nobody said anything about adding $1000 worth of accessories to carry your loads!  I was talking about scooters vs motorcycles, not motorcycles with $1000 saddlebags!  Without those bags, you can't carry even a tin of beans on your motorcycle.  Any flat-floor scooter, without any topcase, can carry at least 6 rolls of turf, a lawnmower, a 2 cases of beer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:01:40 AM by JJJoseph »

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
The bags were on the bike when I bought it, and even without the bags, removable rear seat makes a perfect carry location. With any motorcycle I own, I set it up to do what I want with it, which will be a practical machine with touring ability. That goes with scooters, and I've toured on my 250 and 400 scooters with room to spare.

I put my feet on the floor where they belong, not some shiftable load, and I carry things where the bike was designed to carry them.

Again, I've been doing this for over 30 years. 25 of them on motorcycle, having gotten into scooters 5 or so years ago. When I'm going to haul a load I refuse to do it in any manner that's not safe or legal, and I don't suggest unsafe actions to others on the internet.

We may be comparing apples to oranges? I'm talking about hauling equipment 10's-1000's of miles, not 1/2 mile from the hardware store?

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
I'm talking about hauling equipment 10's-1000's of miles, not 1/2 mile from the hardware store?

If you added a sidecar & a trailer to your machine, too, and drove from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego,then we'd all have to admit that, yes indeed,  motorcycles are the undisputed load carrying champs and scooters are totally useless. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:32:29 PM by JJJoseph »

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
I ride a scooter 'cause it is a chick magnet. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:39:31 PM by CosmoKorny »
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:39 AM »

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
I just love riding my scooter since they are so much fun to ride. I love being able to park in front of the store where as with a car I cannot do this. When the parking lot is full I go right up and park my bike outside of it. When one has a car, they are fighting for parking spaces. With a scooter, one is not dong this. A 125cc scooter is just perfect for getting around Las Vegas, Nevada when one does not want to use the cage.  There are just some days I want to leave the car at home and just ride my bike for most short trip. I love being in the left lane and cars behind me hate this since they think I have one of those slow scooters. When the light turns green I take off and the drivers are blown away by me. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2013, 02:21:09 AM »
I ride a scooter 'cause it is a chick magnet. 
You forgot to open the garage door when idling your scoot again, didn't you.
(I saw the Care Bears once .... but you're seeing pretty girls smiling at you.)
No matter how cold it is , we must crack the garage door.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()