Author Topic: Counter steering  (Read 22603 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Counter steering
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
Doooonuuuuts, yum!

Now get out there and ride damit stop talking about it like a clutch of little old ladies.  I want to here some parts dragging counter steering induced yeehaws!   ;D

Am riding~!! Put in 31 miles before the sun came up this morning!
Very chilly - learning to layer - and scarf the lower face. Wondering what I will do when it's about 5 degrees F and I should not be cracking the face shield to prevent fogging. Frozen nose and corneas?
Too cold to think about counter steering around the deer and racoons in the dark - just do it or pay the consequences!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:39 AM »
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for more years than I care to admit. I'm new to scootering and having a blast. The video posted by cosmokorny is one of the best I've seen on counter steering. Vivo thanks for starting this thread.  As for the fellow who thinks that counter steering is bunk, he may come from a parallel universe where the laws of physics are a bit different than the ones we have here! cochi ;)   
Greeting cochi~!!
Whatcha riding?
Pictures?
Snow rider? (I'm looking for encouragement!)
Welcome & Ride Safe (whichever way you're leaning!)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

cochi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
Stig, I have a 2013 Like 200i in red. I know that you have the blue and white. That's a gorgeous color combo. I see why you love yours! This thing is a hoot to ride and peppy as hell. It's just as quick to 30mph as my 03 Royal Enfield 500. I live in Philadelphia and I commute with it every day. I bought it this past July and I've got 1200 miles on her and she's getting better as the miles accumulate. I'm looking forward to taking some trips to the country side this spring and summer. she also counter steers beautifully!! cochi :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »
Stig, I have a 2013 Like 200i in red. I know that you have the blue and white. That's a gorgeous color combo. I see why you love yours! This thing is a hoot to ride and peppy as hell. It's just as quick to 30mph as my 03 Royal Enfield 500. I live in Philadelphia and I commute with it every day. I bought it this past July and I've got 1200 miles on her and she's getting better as the miles accumulate. I'm looking forward to taking some trips to the country side this spring and summer. she also counter steers beautifully!! cochi :)
Super~!
I darn near bought the red......he was writing up the paper-work on the red when I found the blue/white across the shop by the racks of helmets (lousy salesman. "Does it come in any other colors?" No, just red and black.)
It is quick off the line in traffic - I'm no fly-weight nor a racer - but I get to the next light and look in my mirrors and......Shoot, I'm scootin~!!
We have a lot of LIKE info on here - like how to find your scoot's birthday, etc.
As a previous motorcycle owner - will you be doing your own servicing?
Ride safe over there in Philly.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
Try it on a bicycle dude, just try it. 

Oh, now I get it - this thread is about BICYCLING!  No wonder I got confused.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
  no no joseph its tricycle,.

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
Pay attention boys, it is now about donuts and pretty paint jobs.  Keep up.   :)
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
And birthdays. 

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for more years than I care to admit. I'm new to scootering and having a blast. The video posted by cosmokorny is one of the best I've seen on counter steering. Vivo thanks for starting this thread.  As for the fellow who thinks that counter steering is bunk, he may come from a parallel universe where the laws of physics are a bit different than the ones we have here! cochi ;)

Welcome to the forum cochi...  ;)

cochi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I know that we've gotten a bit off topic, but yes Stig, I do my own servicing. The initial 600 mile service was done at the dealer. However, I'll be doing the rest. about 20 years ago, I took a break form my career, (Mid-life crisis). Since I was handy with tools, a good friend put me to work at his Yamaha store. It was a great experience and I learned much about servicing motorbikes. It was the best job I ever had and it got my fried brain back in order. I'm looking forward to learning  more about scootering from the folks here. cochi :)   

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
As a natural consequence of the steering geometry and dynamics of any bike or scooter, at any speed above about 15 mph a normal steering input to the right will induce a lean to the left and turn the bike left.

"Push right, go right, push left, go left" is the easy way to remember it, but call it "push lightly on the inside bar to increase your lean angle" is a more comprehensive description, just not so easy to teach or remember.

There are folks out there who continue to disbelieve and they carry on spouting off. These are often older riders, folks who learned to do it by trial and error, setting it into their muscle memory without truly realizing what they were doing. (Because if they hadn't learned it, they would never have got to BE older riders!)

They were taught to "steer by leaning", and that's what they did, never quite realizing that as they shifted their body to lean, they were pushing downward and away on the inside bar.

Alternatively they could simply be trolls, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt. ;)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »
As a natural consequence of the steering geometry and dynamics of any bike or scooter, at any speed above about 15 mph a normal steering input to the right will induce a lean to the left and turn the bike left.

"Push right, go right, push left, go left" is the easy way to remember it, but call it "push lightly on the inside bar to increase your lean angle" is a more comprehensive description, just not so easy to teach or remember.

There are folks out there who continue to disbelieve and they carry on spouting off. These are often older riders, folks who learned to do it by trial and error, setting it into their muscle memory without truly realizing what they were doing. (Because if they hadn't learned it, they would never have got to BE older riders!)

They were taught to "steer by leaning", and that's what they did, never quite realizing that as they shifted their body to lean, they were pushing downward and away on the inside bar.

Alternatively they could simply be trolls, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt. ;)

I would argue that same riders who "learn by experience" never truly learn to ride.

It is often these very same veteran riders who teach n00bs to never use the front brake lest they go flying over the handlebars.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Croak

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
"Countersteering is bunk, don't ever use the front brakes because they'll kill you, loud pipes save lives, helmets are for sissies, and if you get in trouble, lay 'er down."

That about sums up the riding knowledge of most Harley riders.

Anyway, watch this:

Aprilia Tuono RSV 1000
Kymco Agility City 200i (R16)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
For those still following this thread, here's a good technique teaching video.

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:22 AM »
"Countersteering is bunk, don't ever use the front brakes because they'll kill you, loud pipes save lives, helmets are for sissies, and if you get in trouble, lay 'er down."

That about sums up the riding knowledge of most Harley riders.

Anyway, watch this:

{What about waxing that girl's helmet ?! Mum & Dad left her quite vulnerable to The Beams!!}
I hope to Hades I don't put my scoot into the shrubbery tomorrow morning after watching this!
I used to know how to get 'round a corner !!
This is all great stuff - but the ONLY things I think about when 'rounding a corner are:
Move close to center to see around the bend.
Watch for debris.
Look through the turn with head up.
In short: I'm sure I must be counter steering but I hope I don't start thinking about how to turn a scooter!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()