Author Topic: Fuel filter assembly issue  (Read 800 times)

GSL

• View Profile
Fuel filter assembly issue
« on: July 30, 2022, 09:59:03 PM »
All,

My wife just bought this People 50 and I've never worked on a scooter and its been over a decade since I've worked on anything so, please feel free to answer as if you're talking to a child, haha.

The scooter won't start; it sat for at least 2yrs before we bought it. Thus far I've drained/changed the battery, fuel and oil and have checked that I'm getting spark (at the spark plug, not sure how/where to check at the carb but, kinda hard regardless with just me). Figured it is a fuel flow issue. Therefore, I attempted to change the filter and I've read on this site that finding replacement filters is a pain. I'd like to go with an inline. As I've read on other posts, this is possible.

Looking at the filter housing, there are 4 ports.
#1 Fuel hose from tank to the filter housing
#2 Another port next to #1 which nothing was connected to (located on the rt side of scooter if your sitting on it)
#3 Fuel leading to the carburetor
#4 Port on top, which I believe is the vacuum line

I'm under the impression that the vacuum line isn't operating correctly, though it is not clogged, nor is the fitting on the carb. The fuel line from the tank isn't clogged either. I've also cleaned and rebuilt the carb at this point. Didn't see any major issues

My questions are:
What is supposed to be connected to #2 (if anything)?
What do I do with port #2 and with the vacuum line if I go to an inline filter?
Any other thoughts on what i should look into next as far as not starting?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Greg
Greg

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel filter assembly issue
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 11:02:45 PM »
Hello Greg
Welcome to the forum!
I know zip about 50's or carbs so I'll spectate from here on.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GSL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 11:18:35 PM »
Thx Stig. Assuming you were/are a MEDEVAC pilot? I just hit the 1yr mark until retirement 😎 and apparently my wife already thinks I need projects to keep me busy….
Greg

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 02:19:43 AM »
Thx Stig. Assuming you were/are a MEDEVAC pilot? I just hit the 1yr mark until retirement 😎 and apparently my wife already thinks I need projects to keep me busy….
No, not a pilot....though I tried to hover one once.
I was a C.O. medic. With the 4th inf in central highlands SVN,  then flew (in the back..) as medic with dustoffs out of the 71st evac Pleiku. My avatar is a salute to all those young warrants who flew into he_ll and back so many times.

Stig

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 02:21:34 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
yes, I must admit I don't even know what I'm looking at in the picture! Have you confirmed that you have the other necessary things to start (spark, compression, air)?

If yes, have you tried starting the scoot on starting fluid to confirm it's a lack of fuel that is the problem?

Finally, I'd search for a service manual (Cyclepedia) to help with the vacuum hose routing
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

GSL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 08:20:28 PM »
Stig,

Awesome. I have a few coworkers who were the same. Appreciate your service.

Iahawk,

Yeah, not the best picture. Haven't tried starting fluid but, will give it a shot tomorrow.

So, i figured out the answer to my initial question, searching through some other posts, and apparently i have everything connected up correctly. Didn't realize that the assembly i took the picture of was the vacuum fuel pump. Therefore, i believe I'm actually missing an external/in line fuel filter.

At this point, carb is cleaned, fuel filter seems good. Realized I'm actually not getting spark. Got a new plug, still no spark. Have a new wire/assembly on order, coming tomorrow. Hoping the new wire will work BUT, lets say it doesn't. Any thoughts on other things I should consider? Possibly other parts that could be bad (or often go bad) causing this issue?

Thx!

Greg
Greg

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »
a great resource is a youtube channel by Garret Seesing called Scooter 911. He's a motorcycle / scooter tech who posts some very good videos. I believe he has a series of videos to help diagnose a 'no start' issue.

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

geeegee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 01:31:41 AM »
as have a similiar problem, the extra port is for air intake which has a tube that extands out and down the right side if it is the same as mine. the tube should be about 3 or 4 inches. the function i believe is to prevent dirt from being "sucked" in. I toop have a similar probloem in that it will run for a while then kind of "choke" out. I think I need to replace the fuel filter but cant find one that fits. ANY suggestions?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 12:37:48 PM »
Run-stop switch, right handle bar has fooled a LOT of us here! Make sure it is in the RUN position! Some "genius" at Kymco wired some models that the starter will still spin but no spark when switch is in STOP position.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()