Author Topic: Need help on RPM fluctuations  (Read 2496 times)

The Gaux

• View Profile
Need help on RPM fluctuations
« on: November 13, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
Hello Yager Gurus!

I have been frequently encountering the same problems lately. My scoot presently has 8500 kms on it. On higher speeds the RPM gauge fluctuates. The first time I encountered this my mechanic told me it was usually caused by the high tension wire from the ignition coil. He would chop off the portion where there seems to be poor connection. From there scoot will be back to a real good running condition.

But it already happened the 2nd time and the same scenario was done. I'm worried that soon the high tension wire would not be long enough should further cuts be made. This time it only took less than 500 kms and the same problem occurred.

Now I'm hesitating that this would be the usual cause. This time even at lower rpms, around 4K rpms CELP lights up. At 6 - 7K rpms fluctuations on the rpm are frequent. You will feel that the scoot is losing its power then regains it but at very high rpms already. I can not even make a full throttle on the scoot and having difficulties in overtaking slower traffic because I might end up losing power when it becomes tight.

From the moment the scoot takes off from standstill the CELP lights up then clears again after a while. I have cleaned the transmission side already as well as the clutch and torque drive is well taken cared of. I have been reading the other topics here and found the same problems in some but I haven't found any conclusive statements where the problems were cleared. Hope the Yager Gurus can shed some light on these things because I haven't been enjoying much time with the scooter specially than I prefer using this scoot on some of my errands.

Thanks a lot in advance to all those who can share some details :)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Need help on RPM fluctuations
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
Did it temporary fix it clipping back the spark plug wire? It could be s bad coil, or a bad cap. Do you have a Kymco dealer near you to scan and see what codes are pulling? That's where IDE start.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

The Gaux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
I'll try to bring it tom. CELP flashes (1 - 1 sec flash and 6 continuos flashes). Is it possible to modify this high tension wire if this is the cause? From the previous cut, what I saw was it seems like carbon is used inside the insulation instead of the common copper.

The Gaux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
I have presently replaced the high tension wire using carbon type high tension wires from automobiles as replacement. The fluctuations on the rpms are gone at above 7000 rpms, but once in a while the CELP still blinks. Might have to ask the service center to have the diagnostic tool plugged again to have the reset of the said alarms.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »
1) Place the scooter on its main stand.

2) Turn the ignition switch ON. The CELP (Check Engine Lamp) will light for two seconds then turn off to show the lamp is working. If the ECU detects any faults then the lamp will stay lit.

3) Start the engine and let it idle. If the CELP does not light or blink, the system has no memory of problem data. If the CELP lights or blinks, stop the engine and read the failure codes by performing the following:

3a) Turn ignition switch to OFF and hold the throttle fully open.

3b) Turn ignition switch to ON. The CELP comes on for 2 seconds, then turns off.

3c) Close the throttle fully when the CELP comes on again.

3d) When the CELP begins to blink, it is showing the failure codes.
The number of blinks are from 1 to 24, excluding numbers 20 and 23.

3e) When more than one failure occurs, the CELP shows the blinks in the order of lowest number to highest number.

All the failure codes will be blinked repeatedly until cleared from memory.

Trouble codes:
1 P0217 Engine overheating
2 P0335 Encoder fault
3 P1120 TPI adaption fault
4 P1121 TPI range fault
5 P1122 TPI velocity fault
6 P0560 Battery voltage range fault
7 P0110 Air temperature sensor fault
8 P0410 Idle air bypass valve fault
9 P0505 Idle speed adaption fault
10 P0251 Fuel injector fault
11 P0350 Ignition fault
12 P0230 Fuel-pump relay fault
13 P0219 Engine max over-speed fault
14 P1560 Transducer power supply fault
15 P0700 CVT threshold exceeded fault
16 P0115 Engine temperature sensor fault
17 P1561 Temperature gauge fault
18 P0650 Check engine lamp fault
19 P1410 CO potentiometer fault
20 DOES NOT EXIST
21 P0105 Manifold pressure fault
22 P1110 Angle detect sensor fault
23 P0136 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (?)
24 P0141 O2 heater/O2 sensor circuit malfunction
25 P0171 Close loop fault (?)

If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, let me know. You can drop by and use my Diagnostic Tool to troubleshoot it. It gives more comprehensive data than just the blink codes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:03:52 AM by Yager200i »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:20:44 AM »
Replace the spark cap. There is a resistor in therer. That resistor is most likely what is failing. Also go back to the stainless wire. Your graphite wire is the resistor from another type of Ign system.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
Check your battery. Code 6 is a low battery. Could be loose connections or it's low
on voltage. I've seen similar problems on BMW F650's when the battery terminals
were loose.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()