Author Topic: Deristricting a like 50i  (Read 2141 times)

Scubajay18

• View Profile
Deristricting a like 50i
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:49:15 AM »
hey guys, sorry if this has been asked alr, I looked and didn't find much information on this subject.

So here is my question, I have a 2020 Kymco like 50i. It is a 4t that is fuel injected, i have looked over the entire scooter and i can not find what is restricting it. I assume it is restricted in the ECU. I have checked the CVT and there is no washer or sleeve stopping the belt from fully engaging.  I checked the exhaust for the restriction, not there, the thottlebody doesn't not the stop screw. So I guess my question really is, is there anyway to remap the ECU, plug and play replacement or something else i could have missed.

I love this scooter, i will even put a big bore kit, if thats possible.  I only want this scooter to go faster than 30mph

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Deristricting a like 50i
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »
Most scooters with fuel injection have a built- in ECU attached to the throttle body. Inside there is a throttle position sensor which may be restricted to only allow partial opening of the throttle butterfly or governs fuel flow. Have you talked to your dealer?  I'm assuming you are trying to derestrict because you do not want to get a unrestricted license.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »
4T 50's are a real challenge to go fast....esp. if EFI.
They put "free flow" air filters and "free flow" mufflers on them....
Not sure they gain any more speed....but the extra noise coming in and going out from both mods sure makes it sound faster!

2 stroke 50's can be made to fly...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Trayn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 06:34:18 PM »
    Is it true any scooter with FI doesn't have a CDI? I have a 2019 Like 50i I'd like to go faster...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 07:58:36 PM »
    Is it true any scooter with FI doesn't have a CDI? I have a 2019 Like 50i I'd like to go faster...
4 stroke, yes?
How fast is it now?
How fast do you want it to go?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Trayn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »
Stig,  I'm 270 lbs, does 28 tops. Would like to go 40ish?

Trayn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 06:30:17 PM »
   While I had it apart looking for nonexistent CDI, I removed air restrictor in air filter box,already had K N filter. Didn't improve performance a bit.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 07:47:37 PM »
   While I had it apart looking for nonexistent CDI, I removed air restrictor in air filter box,already had K N filter. Didn't improve performance a bit.
Yeah, years ago a guy on youtube showed his "discovery" of removing that restrictor ......I've tried to caution folks about the folly of that.
Just maybe Kymco engineers installed the best inhaling (and exhaling?) for these EFI engines :)
We did have a member several yrs ago who modded his LIKE 50 to go 60+ mph......until he crashed, or it blew up, I forget which.
I think it was a 2 stroke - and with those RPM's the engine had a life expectancy measured in hours.

28MPH is the norm for your scoot - maybe 3 or 4 more on a good day.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 05:29:09 AM »
  I only want this scooter to go faster than 30mph

It's not happening with a fuel-injected 50cc.  They're designed to do what they do (50kph), and that's it.  Older carbureted 2-strokes can be hot-rodded ("deristricted"), but not fuel-injected 4-strokes. Every F/I Kymco I've seen has a Siemens ECM controller, and there's no way to reprogram those units.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()