Author Topic: 2016 Kymco Super 8 50x 4 Stroke Derestricting Problems  (Read 4188 times)

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
2016 Kymco Super 8 50x 4 Stroke Derestricting Problems
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new here as you see so here goes:

I just purchased a new old stock 2016 Super 8 50x, 4 stroke from a local dealer.  Prior to delivery I requested that it be derestricted and that sliders also be installed.  The dealer did what I requested and delivered the scooter to me.  The following is what he did to derestrict the scooter: (Removed spacer/installed a unrestricted CDI/rejected the carb and removed the intake restrictor)

I immediately test rode it that day and found that it was difficult to start, ran very rough, stalled on me at stop signs and seemed very sluggish.  He took it back, worked on it and delivered it back to me in a week.  In the next two days I put 60 miles on the scooter test driving it.  The scooter ran great BUT it was slow (33 MPH) on flats with no wind and with great conditions. Steep Hills I got 15 MPH!  It seemed that when I hit (33 MPH - GPS verified) the scooter did not rev any higher.  I also have a Chinese Ice bear 50cc scooter and that thing runs 10 MPH faster than this new Kymco!  So to say the least I am very upset at it's performance.

So when I got back home I decided to check the CDI.  I'm not very mechanically inclined, but the CDI was an easy task.  When I checked I saw that the dealer had reinstalled the OEM Kymco CDI!!! So that answered my question on the rev limit.  I spoke to the dealer and he admitted that he reinstalled the original OEM CDI back in because it ran a lot better than with the unrestricted CDI.  I won't go on about the dealer, but I'm still in the process of dealing with this issue.

Sorry for the long delivery but I wanted to include all that was done beforehand.  I purchased a new CDI in hopes that it would help me gain more power/speed.  I purchased a Naraku Racing CDI (part #NK390.30) that is supposed to me compatible with my Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke.  I just installed it this evening and it made my scooter go SLOWER!  Take off was crazy slow and top speed was around 25 MPH on flats. WTH!

So my question is this:  Is there a CDI (8 pin one plug) unrestricted CDI for my scooter that will work properly?  I saw one on Ebay that was unrestricted for the Kymco Super 8 4 stroke, but for the year 09/10 models only.  Will this one work for my 2016 Super8 50x model???

I don't really want to cut any wires on the CDI but if that is my only choice I will go that route.  I am not sure which specific wire to cut so I will post a picture and see if anyone can assist.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Kymco Super 8 50x 4 Stroke Derestricting Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
Hi,

I agree that the OEM CDI will probably run better! However, the dealer should have been upfront about not installing it for you.

Somebody with knowledge will be along shortly to advise - I suspect this may be a wire cut job.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Viper254!

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
There is purple wire or wire with a purple stripe.

Don't hut it though.  Just remove it from the wire harness so you can install later on if you want.
I just covered it with electrical tape
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
There are two purple wires.  Which one should I remove?  Thanks again!

netlag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
There are two purple wires.  Which one should I remove?  Thanks again!

Earlier model, but probably same logical idea... If anything will provide a sense of direction on how-to remove and secure the wire from the connector.

I have removed one of the pink/purple wires and yes it does derestrict the CDI.
You only need to remove 1 of the pink/purple colored wires and it dossent matter which one.

Here you see the cdi coupler. You need to remove of the wires with no text on them.

Use a very small screwdriver inside the coupler to get the wire out without having to cut it. then put som tape around the end and you can reconnect it if you want to.

I have read that its not a good idea to ride with deretricted CDI and restricted variator så be shure to derestrict the variator bush also.

Have a look at http://scootergrisen.dk its my site and theres alot of pictures comming from the Kymco Super 8 course i have one my self.
You can use Google translate to translate the website to you language.

Also look at: http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/begrensninger.html for the re-restriction page. The pictures them self might help even if you cant read the text.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:02:03 PM by netlag »
2012 Kymco Super 8 50cc 2T (KF10AA)
- Position Light Mod (US)
- Derestricted OEM Exhaust

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
Perfect!!   I will try this and see if it works!   Appreciate all your help netlag!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:36:16 PM by AKL_HBG »

Magoconnor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
Did the new cdi work?

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
The new CDI from China did not work.   It gave me the same performance as the OEM CDI from Kymco.  My speed is still restricted  to 33 mph.  BTW I use GPS to track all my speeds.

I just removed one of the purple wires from the  CDI wire assembly and I am up to 35-36 MPH.   I still think my scooter is still restricted, but my dealer stated that they did all the required derestrictions and it is completely deresticted.   Not very happy right now with a top speed of 35 MPH!!!

netlag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
The new CDI from China did not work.   It gave me the same performance as the OEM CDI from Kymco.  My speed is still restricted  to 33 mph.  BTW I use GPS to track all my speeds.

I just removed one of the purple wires from the  CDI wire assembly and I am up to 35-36 MPH.   I still think my scooter is still restricted, but my dealer stated that they did all the required derestrictions and it is completely deresticted.   Not very happy right now with a top speed of 35 MPH!!!

I only get 38 on my 2t on the best day here in FLA. Last two days with so much moisture... 32-35 max.

What has your dealer stated performance should be?
2012 Kymco Super 8 50cc 2T (KF10AA)
- Position Light Mod (US)
- Derestricted OEM Exhaust

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
He never gave me exact top end speeds but stated that once derestricted it should achieve close to 40 mph.  I advised him before the sale that I definitely wanted to cruise around 40 mph.  My digital Kymco speedometer is about 2 mph off at those speeds.  It reads 37 when my GPS indicates 34-35 mph.

At this point I will probably end up putting a BBK on it since I have exhausted all my knowledge (although minimal) to try to get this scooter up to 40 mph.  The BBK should do the trick....I hope!

Thanks again...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()