Author Topic: 2006 Venox 250 sputtering....Just bought it, put 200 miles on her..  (Read 16041 times)

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: 2006 Venox 250 sputtering....Just bought it, put 200 miles on her..
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
ok so if the vacuum petcook pipe is not connected to anything you will not get enough fuel in the bowls. there is a nipple behind the real right cylinder cover plate. the pipe should connect to there. here is a photo.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »
here is another photo of where the idle mixture screw are and they should be 2 5/8 turns out.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »
here is where the pipe you had left out should be.
part number 16210-KED9-900 0 DRAIN TUBE ASSY CARB (not carb carb but airbox)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:35:05 AM by max oradea »

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
after the two pipes have been replaced it should start easy, take care once the vacuum fuel petcook hose is fitted and the pipe for the air box is fitted you might have over rev as soon as the engine starts firing due to the previous adjustments to the idle stopper screw. adjust the idle mixture screw when the engine is cold and set them to 2 5/8 turns, because once the engine is hot you can not get to the rear mixture screw without getting burned.
once it idles which i think it will. go out for a ride and check the exhaust ash coating. here is a photo of how much ash is on my as a reference.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:36:24 AM by max oradea »

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
as an extra note, once the vacuum petcook pipe is fitted it will take a few cranks to get fuel to come down to the carb bowl. so crank it for five to six rotations then wait for a min for the fuel to reach the bowl, the start again.
Good luck!

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Hey Max, have another look at Kris' top muffler back on the second page. Does that look like it's been cooked a bit to you ? Maybe it's just a reflection off something, but there seems to be a blue/gold tinge on the chrome, and the black paint all peeled off and cracked lookes like it's got pretty bloody hot for some reason. What do you think ?
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
yes i agree, its been cooked, but the interesting part about it is that the top muffler is for the front cylinder and that exhaust pipe is long!! if its cooked i.e. over heated then the front part of the pipe must be complete rainbow. there might also be a chance that the fuel was not burned and made its way to the muffler and then ignited there causing the burn. or there is another thing that i have seen happen is when hot chrome hits water when washing without letting the engine cool down, it wll also make this kind of color and the heat shock will cause the black part to peal off as the contracting amount between the paint and the metal is different.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
here is where it should go.
Okay so here is where I stand as of now.

The bronze phillips screw in the middle, this is the carb drain correct? I loosened it a little and gas came out.

I ended up breaking the stock T splitter gas line the other day trying to disconnect it to see if fuel was going to the carb. I replaced it with a white one of the same size. There is gas in this line. I think this is going to the carb.......?

Is this my fuel filter? I removed the speedometer gauge on the gas tank and this was underneath. Not sure if this is the fuel filter or not. I suppose it doesnt matter anyways seeing as I am getting gas in the T splitter down below so I cant have a clogged fuel filter....

What is this and where does it go? Snooping around today on the left side of the bike I was touching some lines and I saw this hanging around and I could not find where it plugged back into. There is one of these on the air filter....but this one has oil inside of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a can of $3 starter fluid and sprayed it into the air filter for 2 seconds and the bike immediately fired up on the first try. I had the idle screw turned to the right all the way and the choke all the way out and it revved really really high. I turned the idle screw to the left a bit to get it to normal/slightly higher idle rev.... it ran for about a minute or so.... and then it started to bog down. I would give it throttle... and it would go up... and then start to bog down again.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
I cant wait to plug those both back in tomorrow morning! Max you have helped me so much! I really hope the bike starts on its own tomorrow after I plug those 2 back in.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
good luck and dont forget about the idle mixture screw and the idle stop screw!!! cold over rev is bad for the piston rings.
next thing will be to balance the cylinders and get the most out of the engine. but before that take it out for a little ride and enjoy. p.s remember about the idle mixture screw buddy they are important to be set correct otherwise you might over heat in closed throttle after a long and hard engine breaking.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
at this point I just want to get her to the point where she will start on her own and run decent. hopefully plugging these 2 lines in will get her to start. If I hear the engine over rev I will make sure to cut it off.

When you say 2 and 5/8... how do I know what it is set to currently?

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 05:52:50 AM »
turn them in gently till it bottoms out and turn out 2 5/8. it will be nice to see what setting its on right now so count as you turn in as well.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
I HAVE GOOD NEWS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! SHE FIRED UP THIS MORNING ON HER OWN! NO CHOKE! :):):):):):):):) very happy saturday morning!!!!

I cant believe I missed the fuel vaccum line. It was RIGHT in front of my face the whole time. Took me 5 seconds to connect it.

I had a much harder time finding where the drain tube went....literally took me 20 mins to figure out that the nipple it connected to was right behind the metal bracket by the choke.

There was a little white smoke that came out of the exhaust but after a min or two it went away.

-----------------------------------------------------

So this is my theory. The bike was sputtering on me....but still running. I was able to get it home. Somehow the drain tube got disconnected. I changed the spark plugs and it would not fire up because the drain tube was not connected. Then I started messing with stuff trying to figure out what the problem was. In doing that the fuel vaccum line got disconnected by accident. Then the bike had no chance to start. Probably something along these lines.

I am going to take it for a small ride in a bit and see how it runs before the adjustment to the idle mixture screw. So I tighten the screws all the way and then turn them out 2 and 5/8 turns?

MAX THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
hey buddy good to know all is starting to go well. plug in that pipe, the place it should be located is on the back of the air box around the front margin of the seat. not the easiest place to get to but you should be able to see it after you take off the left side plate just under your seat thats been bolt onto the frame by three hex bolts.
must have that pipe fitted before you go for a ride buddy just as an precaution, as i said it will effect the air to fuel ratio and also dirty air will bypass the air filter get into your air box and straight into your engine, that pipe is also located just in front of the rear wheel so lots of durst there.
idle screw adjustment is very important. engine with a new air filter is very pron to over heat and seize if the fuel amount is not correct. so be very careful.
after the setting is done and the bike is running ok with a press of a button the next thing is to get the carburator balanced, this i am afraid you will need special tool, best to get it done for long rides and it will make the engine feel so smooth.
you will need to take it to a good mechanic who knows what he is doing, a little something to know is that carb. balancing screw tends to move over time... so best thing is to use liquid supper glue after you see that the mechanic has both cylinder inlet manifolds connected to vacuum gauge and they are moving beautifully in sync then use that glue and secure the screw from future movement.
Good luck and come back if you have any other problems.

krisfnbs

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
So I took the bike on a nice 25~ minute ride today throughout town, and hopped on the highway a little bit. Initially the throttle response seemed alright.......when I was in the city shifting normally. Then I hopped on the highway and went WOT and thats where the sputtering/jerking started happening again. I proceeded to come home and 1 min from my house the bike stalled at a red light. I just popped it in neutral and started her back up and got back home. It seems to run decent, but certainly needs some improvement.

Cleaning the carbs, and balancing them is a bit out of my comfort zone mechanically, so I am going to make a few calls to the local bike shops to get some quote on pricing information. I'm also going to get a price on valve adjustment as well.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()