Author Topic: Winterization questions  (Read 1646 times)

bluescoot125

• View Profile
Winterization questions
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
Getting ready to put my agility 125 away for the winter. Just wondering what people would suggest doing. I was going to put Startron in the gas, spray fogging oil in cylinder, drain carb, change oil and gear oil. Anything else I should or shouldn't do??

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Winterization questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:17 PM »

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
Thanks tortoise. I forgot to mention that. I'm going to get a trickle charger

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
Is it necessary to drain the carb and use fogging oil?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:55 AM »
Is it necessary to drain the carb
The carb fuel bowl is vented to atmosphere.  Fuel stabilizers do not prevent evaporation.  If the vacuum operated fuel petcock is working properly, the bowl will not refill resulting in undesirable consequences . . which are pretty much determined by the laws of physics and storage duration.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »
Nothing is necessary except breathing.

I figure a few dollars spent now will save time/money/headaches later.
Something as simple as 1/2ounce of tranny fluid poured into the spark plug hole, and turning one screw to drain the fuel should be a no brainer.

That's how I get soo many scooters soo cheaply. People get lazy, stick it in the shed till June, and spend too many hours trying to get it going. It'll sit 2-3 more years untill they give them away.

Just sayin"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
The carb fuel bowl is vented to atmosphere.  Fuel stabilizers do not prevent evaporation.  If the vacuum operated fuel petcock is working properly, the bowl will not refill resulting in undesirable consequences . . which are pretty much determined by the laws of physics and storage duration.
Tortoise are you saying I shouldn't drain the carb?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
The evaporated fuel is a non issue. It's the gum / estors that are left behind that are.

Why is draining the carb even a question. It takes me 30 seconds, and one flat head screw driver.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
The evaporated fuel is a non issue. It's the gum / estors that are left behind that are.

Why is draining the carb even a question. It takes me 30 seconds, and one flat head screw driver.
Thanks zombie. I thought so too but tortoise confused me with the evaporation atmosphere stuff. I have basic mechanical knowledge. Just want to do it right.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
I'd guess that 80% of all riders just put them up for the winter. I'll also guess the 60% of them post here asking how to fix the mystery issues because "it ran great last time I rode it"

I promise you I have never had to do ANYTHING more than a fresh spark plug after burning off the fogging oil. My engines are my babies. I take care of them first. Then I relax. (except the damn chainsaw. I hate that bastard)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()