Author Topic: Shorted out electrical system Kymco Like 200i  (Read 720 times)

Jonnielights

• View Profile
Shorted out electrical system Kymco Like 200i
« on: March 25, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
So I attempted to add a led strip to my top box yesterday, the light didn't work, despite continuity checks and sodering all the wires.  I removed the light but left the wires that were tied in to the tail lights coiled in the top box but foolishly didn't tape the bare ends.  I noticed on my way to work that the directional no longer worked, and in fact all lights were off.  Got to work, turned off the bike and sure enough, it won't start.  Parked on NYC street, any help with what fuses to get and how to access would be greatly appreciated. I really hope to get this bike back to Queens tonight.

Thanks, Jon
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Shorted out electrical system Kymco Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
OK Jon,
Use your phillips screwdriver (under seat in tool bag, we hope) and remove battery cover from floor. Pop it open using flat screwdriver in the two slots provided.
Near the battery you will find 2 fuses installed in the system. Hopefully you've just blown a fuse ....and will find a spare nearby.
Good luck, and please report back.
BUT FIRST  make certain no wires are still touching ea. other!

Stig
PS: it is a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on electrical stuff - just in case 2 things touch, which shouldn't, while messing about.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:01:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Jonnielights

• View Profile
Re: Shorted out electrical system Kymco Like 200i
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Hey Stig,

That is exactly what I did, and sure enough, the fuse out of the negative lead was blown. Replaced it with one of the included 15amp fuses (immediately ordered a new pack of 5 from amazon) and my Like came right back to life.

My biggest concern was that I was going to have to remove the seat and find automotive fuses on a Sunday during my lunch break, l keep a fairly comprehensive set of tools under the seat, but sockets are not included in that set.  Suffice to say, the simple fix was a relief.

Thanks so much, Jon
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()