Author Topic: 10K service on a Reflex - advice welcomed  (Read 483 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
10K service on a Reflex - advice welcomed
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
Owner of this Reflex (parked next to my old Burgman) has gathered all the bits needed for a 10,000 mile service - but has been dragging his feet on doing it.
He's a great auto mechanic, and runs a pristine old BMW w/side car - but has asked me to sit in when he does this service. I'll be reading up on the Reflex. And bringing some CVT tools, etc.
Is the Reflex the Honda scooter which has the external valve adjustment technique? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Anyway, would appreciate any pointers from you guys.

Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: 10K service on a Reflex - advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
I had new Reflex----run over by lady on cell phone at 22,500 miles. totaled.

Finding TDC a little tricky---other wise just like Helix.  Belt goes 15,000 or so---no need to check, just ride and change at OEM recommended interval with OEM belt.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
When should one repack or replace wheel bearings ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

Most stuff today is lubed for life sealed bearings. At least that's how most of my bikes wheel bearings are. You can repack the steering head bearings on most bikes though.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

kymcogrampa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »

Whenever I replace a tire, I pop the bearing side seal and add a touch of grease. Reinstall seal...done.

Rene
Scooters = great smiles per gallon.

kymcogrampa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
As an auto mechanic, he mainly needs advice on scooter/motorcycle specific issues...plastic removal etc...

Valve adjustments are unique on the Reflex. Remove crank view port cap. Find top dead centre mark. Remove cam port cap on other side of engine. Make sure that cam is in the right spot with a flat spot on top. If flat spot is on bottom, rotate crank one more turn until it's on top. Instead, i put my finger on the plug hole and feel for compression. When top dead centre mark shows up, you're ready.  On the side of valve cover are external valve adjustment levers. Loosen one at a time and finger rotate until valve rocker starts to press onto valve. Back off one notch on lever dial and tighten. That one valve is set. Now  do this to the other one. Do this with a cold engine.

Most important...give him directions to your favourite restaurant after it's all done!

Rene
Scooters = great smiles per gallon.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
As an auto mechanic, he mainly needs advice on scooter/motorcycle specific issues...plastic removal etc...

Valve adjustments are unique on the Reflex. Remove crank view port cap. Find top dead centre mark. Remove cam port cap on other side of engine. Make sure that cam is in the right spot with a flat spot on top. If flat spot is on bottom, rotate crank one more turn until it's on top. Instead, i put my finger on the plug hole and feel for compression. When top dead centre mark shows up, you're ready.  On the side of valve cover are external valve adjustment levers. Loosen one at a time and finger rotate until valve rocker starts to press onto valve. Back off one notch on lever dial and tighten. That one valve is set. Now  do this to the other one. Do this with a cold engine.

Most important...give him directions to your favourite restaurant after it's all done!

Rene

Thanks a bunch! I think it's really strange that there is only one short, so-so & blurry,  youtube video for adjusting the valves on this very popular scooter.

I'm printing this out (LARGE print - for the Honda owner  :) )
Seems like it will be pretty straightforward.

He's pretty particular, except for his overalls*, and so am I - so we''l stay at it until we're satisfied.
Thanks again, Rene!
Stig
* I didn't say that!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:25:02 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()