Author Topic: 2002 Kymco 150, won't start... Please help....  (Read 4551 times)

erokcom

• View Profile
2002 Kymco 150, won't start... Please help....
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:46 AM »
Hello,

I'm new here on the forum...... I just purchased a used Kymco People 150 here in the Bay Area. (San Francisco) It had been in storage and needed a new battery and spark plug... No big deal..... I got that taken care of and it fired right up.... Everything seemed to be working fine...

Today, I was out for a quick ride around and suddenly it just died while I was driving it.... I pulled over, re-started and the problem seemed to be fixed.. About 15 min later it died again while driving. (I almost got hit by a bus) Once pulled over I tried over and over to start it..... It did fire up a few times, but when you would hit the gas it sounded almost like the engine was drowning... It would only sputter and not move at all......

(FAST FWD about 15 min)

I tried to start again with no luck.. By this time, the ignition stated to sound tired, as if I were killing the battery trying to start it..... I had to push it back home... Again, I live in San Francisco and this is no easy task....

Any ideas what the problem could be? I just had an oil change and the scooter place looked over.. They said it was in very good shape for it's age and should run strong for a long time....

Please, any advice would be great..... Feel free to email me as well... eric@ericshoemaker.com

juice

• View Profile
Re: 2002 Kymco 150, won't start... Please help....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem , disassemble and clean your carburator , replace all  gasoline and the fuel filter and recharge your battery . Good luck .

erokcom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
Hello,

How would I go about getting to the carb? Is it easy to clean, etc?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:20 AM »
I think juice got you pointed in the right direction.  The carb is not difficult to pull apart and clean, just takes some mechanical sense and an attention to detail!  You will probably have to take off some of the body panels to get at it, then it's just a matter of disconnecting the fuel and vacuum line, and uncliping the auto choke wire connector.  As far as tools, all you should need is a couple different sized screwdrivers and a can of carb cleaner.  If you're not up too it a shop will probably charge $50 - $100 to do it.  It's pretty straight forward though!  Pull it apart, remove the float and jets, and blast all the passages clear.  While your at it check the fuel filter and petcock to make sure you have good flow to the carb.  If you pull the vacuum line and fuel line off, just suck on the vacuum line and you should have a nice flow of fuel from the fuel line.

erokcom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »
Thanks guys! Now I just need to charge the battery back up... :(

jaimeltx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:28:26 AM »
Hi everyone. I let my battery die and am having a problem kick starting my scoot. Do you guys have any tips. I have been trying all day, but I only weigh 100lbs. I think this may be part of the reason why I can't get it kick started. I have the key turned on and the start switch on, and it hardly makes any noise when I try to start it. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Hi everyone. I let my battery die and am having a problem kick starting my scoot. Do you guys have any tips. I have been trying all day, but I only weigh 100lbs. I think this may be part of the reason why I can't get it kick started. I have the key turned on and the start switch on, and it hardly makes any noise when I try to start it. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated?

..removing the cvt cover and greasing the kick mechanism inside will help...careful not to overdo the lubrication, as you don't want any of it to transfer to the cvt components...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()