Author Topic: Birthday present for next Tuesday won't start. Please help!  (Read 2465 times)

rich2302

• View Profile
Birthday present for next Tuesday won't start. Please help!
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Hi All,

We bought my other half's niece a Kymco Agility 50 (on a 56 plate) to give to her for her 16th Birthday, which is next Tuesday.

It was a non runner and needed a bit of love.  I've been right through the bike and done the valve clearences, replaced the plug with another NGK of the same type, cleaned out the fuel tank, took the carb to bits and cleaned all of that out too and replaced the auto choke, put it all back together and after 3 goes on the electric start it fired right up and was running well.

I then left it parked up for 2 days and for love nor money it will not start. There is fuel and there is a spark, but it refuses to fire. As mentioned, it's her birthday next week and I'm now out of ideas, so any steer you lovely people may be able to give would be brilliant?

I've already been told to scrap it, so we can ignore that option :)

Thanks in advance,

Rich

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday present for next Tuesday won't start. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Does it have an "engine run-stop" button/switch on the right handlebar grip?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Kill switch will stop it from sparking every other revolution (I think) so you might see spark but not enough to fire it.

Also... Open the carb bowl again. I will bet there is a piece of debris in the idle jet.

Have you tried starting it while holding the throttle wide open?

Try these things, and keep posting. I'd like to see the gal get her gift on time.

Welcome to the forum!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
When you cleaned the carb did you replace or make sure the pilot jet is clear? You have to be able to see light through it, you can clear it out with a small bit of steel wire. Also what they said, KILL SWITCH on the RH switch cluster by the throttle pull
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rich2302

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.  I need to go and check the bike again, but I don't believe it has a kill switch?

In terms of the pilot jet, I could see right through it, the hole was small, but a hole is still a hole! (just to clarify, when I say small, the hole is just slightly smaller than the holes in the side of the jet.

I guess I'll also need to check the pilot screw, as I'm not convinced that's set correctly. On that point the manual indicates 2.5 turns out from fully in.  Just so I'm clear on this, the screw is a flat head screw and for the sake of the explanation, when fully in it's pointing at 12 and 6 (so totally vertical). I then unwind it and the next time it comes back to pointing at 12 and 6, that would be one complete turn, I do this one more time and then complete the adjustement when the screw line is pointing at 9 and 3?

One final thing, as it isn't clear from the manual, when testing the oil level, I run the bike for 2 or 3 minutes (when I get it running!) and then leave it for 2 or 3 minutes and then I just undo the dipstick and check the level? Or, do I undo the dipstick, wipe it and then pop it back in, but not screw it in?

Thanks again for all your help and support.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
There are 2 screws on the same side of the carb. One is the idle mix screw, and the other is the idle speed set screw.
It doesn't matter where the mix screw starts from, as long as it is fully/lightly seated.
You are correct on the method for counting the turns. BUT, this is just a base line setting that will Usually get the bike started. Not always...
You can try turning it one full turn in either direction, and try to start the bike. If it starts, turn the screw in either direction to obtain the highest rpm. If it rewvs too high turn down the other (speed set) screw to a normal idle. Once you get the best idle, turn the mix screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise to slightly enrich the setting. Done.

The reason we suggested re-checking the pilot jet is because a tiny piece of debris will clog it again no matter how clean it was when you installed it. Something from a brand new filter or fuel line will clog it up instantly. It doesn't hurt to re-check. It might actually save a bunch of time.

To check the oil it makes zero sense to start the bike first. If there was no oil, that would kill the bike for good.
Pull/wipe/dip/read. You don't re-thread it into the hole. Just dip it in.

IF your bike has a kill switch (I believe ALL agilities do) it is located as a thumb toggle on the throttle side of the bars. Your thumb will reach it when you hold the throttle. "O" means run, and "O" w/ a line thru it means kill.
4 days left...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rich2302

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the further reply and pointers Zombie, all very much appreciated.

In terms of the kill switch, it definitely doesn't have one, I checked again the other day.

I terms of did I get it sorted in time for her birthday, then I'm very happy to report that I did and she was absolutely over the moon to get it as a present, so a big thanks to all of you for helping with that.

As for the problem, it was the battery.  It would seem that 0.2 of a volt difference was all that was required to make it start/not start. The bike was spinning over and giving a spark, the spark was just not strong it would seem, fitted a new battery and away she went and has been starting every time since.

So thanks again everyone, I couldn't have done it without you :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
Tell your friends, and neighbors about us. We LOVE cupcakes, and assorted other goodies/snacks. Just post them to me, and I'll be sure everyone gets one.

Good to hear you sorted it out. We'll be here for the next go round.

The moped learner

• View Profile
Birthday present for next Tuesday won't start. Please help!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
And brains!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »
MMMmmmmmmm! YummyRum! ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()