Author Topic: Best top cases  (Read 2121 times)

Boudroux

• View Profile
Best top cases
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
Hey guys and gals.. I'm in the market for a top case for my 2009 Grandvista. I'm looking for something that installs on my existing rack. What are some of you using and what sizes are the best in your opinion?
Thank you..

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: Best top cases
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:49:51 PM »
 I have had two Grand Vistas with two different top cases.  Each one worked fine, but the "GIVI" top case "knock-off" is the one I personally like by looks and function, and is the most inexpensive and good solution.  I have original GIVI's on my motorcycle. An original GIVI trunk for the G/V is definitely better quality but about 3-5 times more expensive. Your calling.

Search for MOTORCYCLE SCOOTER LUGGAGE TRUNK TOP CASE e.g. on e-Bay. It is made of sturdy plastic and has a quick detach base plate; cost is about $40-45 Shipped

Sample:   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-DUAL-SPORT-BIKE-MX-ATV-TOURING-CRUISER-LUGGAGE-TRUNK-TOP-CASE-/400473370162?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e12ae32&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:03:18 PM by windwheeler »

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
I run the largest Givi and love it except for the weird way the lock works.  I had to add a piece of wood under the bottom as the rack is not big enough.  It also quick disconnects if you spill or need to wash it out.  I think it cost ~$200?

See attached picture.  2005 Grandvista.  Top case has been in daily use for 2.5 years and 10K miles.

PaulC

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
mrbios: that is a HUGE GVI trunk..!  are you an alcohol smuggler? you know.  they call them "liquor sickle"...  ;)

Mr. Boudroux: let us know what you ended up with!

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »
mrbios: that is a HUGE GVI trunk..!  are you an alcohol smuggler? you know.  they call them "liquor sickle"...  ;)

Mr. Boudroux: let us know what you ended up with!

Yes, just kidding.  I love storage and I wouldn't trade for a smaller case.  It does look huge in the picture but I'm so used to it I don't even notice.
PaulC

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »
I went with the Shad SH33 in Gloss Black, matches the scooter in every way, although dealing with Shad USA is a royal pain, I like it better and No lock issues.

Here is a post where I tried different sizes on prior to my decision (you will have to scroll up, this starts down in the thread).

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10333.msg106397#msg106397

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/manufacturers/shad/shad-sh-33-top-case-d0b3300/

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:23:49 PM by TLRam1 »
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
This is certainly a very nice matching case for your bike, Mr. Terry.  Thanks also for the comparison links.
Looking at all the options, I need to say, "it is personal preference".  The GIVI's look good and "practical" too, so it is very individual what one likes, or needs for practical purposes.

I wne with the Shad SH33 in Gloss Black, matches the scooter in every way, although dealing with Shad USA is a royal pain, I like it better and No lock issues.

Here is a post where I tried different sizes on prior to my decision (you will have to scroll up, this starts down in the thread).

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10333.msg106397#msg106397

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/manufacturers/shad/shad-sh-33-top-case-d0b3300/

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 03:21:18 AM »
I went with the Shad SH33 in Gloss Black, matches the scooter in every way, although dealing with Shad USA is a royal pain, I like it better and No lock issues.

Nice looking scoot.  As I said the lock on the Givi is the weirdest design.  I also don't like that you have to lock the case every time with the key.  On my bmw cases I rarely locked them as they were empty or did not contain anything valuable. But other than that they do work.
PaulC

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 03:51:11 AM »
On the Shad you can open and close without the key but you can lock it if need be, where you mentioned the Givi has to be opened with the key each time.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()