Author Topic: Cloud 9 ~ Areomyst's LC Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)  (Read 37264 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: Cloud 9 ~ Areomyst's LC Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
...dang...long time josh...

..thats some good work...

..i wanna ride th cloud!!!

;D
Thanks for the kind words sir!  Keep an eye on our trackdays on scooterinvasion.  If you come out, I'll be happy to let you give it a ride.  I think you'll be impressed even though I call it "slow".
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
..yes hell, i will!!!

..i been busier than a one-armed paper-hanger the last 6 months...

..i have 3 project scoots that i havn't even touched in forever....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Super9r

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »
That's one hell of a ride and port job!  Damn inspiring.
2003 Super 9 LC Red and Black Baby!

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
That's one hell of a ride and port job!  Damn inspiring.

Thanks. :)  My port timings are still a little on the conservative side, but I'm taking it a little bit at a time, getting dyno charts and a few passes down the drag strip, and then porting and tuning a little more.  It's hard to find time to work on my bike though, when I have everyone else's projects here to get done. :) 

I can't wait to get the body work on the thing!  It's more weight, but it should be more aerodynamic.  Also, as I'm seeking a few sponsors for next year, I need to have places to "advertise" on the bike, and the barebones look doesn't cut it for that.

Cheers!

~Josh

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 01:32:15 AM »
...what you doing for plastics???

..dont need much...aero the nose and, if you riding superman, some fairing in front of your legs..

8)

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2012, 04:33:35 AM »
...what you doing for plastics???

..dont need much...aero the nose and, if you riding superman, some fairing in front of your legs..

8)

Hah.  I have a full set of plastics, I'm just waiting on my paint guy (friend) to get done with them.  I'm not doing the "Superman" anymore.  That was a silly mistake, and didn't work well.  I'm getting the whole plastic set on the bike, as it will allow me plenty of "canvas" for decals.  If anyone chooses to sponsor me, then I have to be able to get their decals or name out there as best I can. :)

~Josh

superscoot

• if you see blue light's ""RUN""
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
updates my friend... that was an intresting read   :)
04 kymco super 9 ac
70cc malossi bbk
stock cdi
naraku 5.7 gram rollers
naraku 90 main jet
naraku 40 idle jet
naraku clutch bell
Naraku Variator
naraku 1500 contra spring
naraku 2000 clutch springs
malossi c/f reeds
malossi kevlar belt
leo vince exhaust

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:05 AM »
I spent the better part of the day taking the very rare luxury of working on my scooter.

So, the body panels have been kicking around for a while.  My Ignitech programmable CDI has been in the toolbox for a long time also.  My goal today, was to fix up my wiring harness for the new CDI, and at least get the CDI  plugged in.

I got the wiring for the Ignitech sorted, but it sure was ugly.  I had originally slapped this wiring harness together trying to get ready for TNG 2012.  It was quick, dirty, and it has served me well over the past year.

Cleaned up a bit.

I was pretty disapointed with myself when I chipped the paint when drilling the holes for the switches.  Oh well... I might make up a little plate to go there eventually.

The seat looks kind of deflated huh? I ended up taking the foam out of it.  I will re-do the seat at some point - I like the seating position that I get with the foam out, but I'd like it to look half way decent as well. :)

I hope to find time to begin tuning the ignition soon.  We'll see!

~Josh
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:10:41 AM by Areomyst »

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »
I've got it running in the low 10's now, and have some new parts arriving soon.  I'll be doing a few small upgrades before Twist N Gone 2013.  Hopefully I can see this thing into the 9's. 

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2013, 04:12:55 AM »

Before and during the programming of my ignition.  I was unable to finish that night, or I would have gotten better overrev out of this thing...

I have seen 15 HP out of this setup before, and power was down from that, clearly. I was working on the map when I had to stop... As I was working on the ignition map, a broken reed halted progress. I suspect that the reed was failing and causing a drop in power. The crankshaft bearings were worn as well...

I replaced the reed petals, and crankshaft bearings late last week, but didn't take good time to document the progress. I took a few photos though. I also ported my reed block in hopes of a bit more power.

I was hoping to build a new engine up (have a few parts) but won't be able to get them in before TNG.   I hope to find the time to get the new parts installed shortly after that.

I counted today, I have 25 scooters in the shop. I think this is a new record for October!  Busy busy...

One of the maps I tried.

The reed petal that stopped my fun.

Some porting on the reed block.  I hope it makes a noticeable difference.  If it does, I may go back and do up one of my spare blocks a little bit nicer.

Engine out.

Engine apart, getting new crankshaft bearings.

Truing crankshaft.  Got it within .003"... Still well within factory spec, but I would have liked .0015".  Didn't have all the time in the world to work with it though.

Heating the crankcase half on a hot plate in order to expand the metal enough to easily install the bearing.  Yeah, my cases are dirty and unprofessional.  Sorry.  I was just trying to get the job finished that night.  :)

And on to the leak down pressure test!  I found a leak at the oil pump.  The pump is disabled, but I haven't taken time to make a proper block-off yet.  I replaced the vacuum caps, and all was well.  I also had to add a little sealant on my inlet manifold.

Cheers!

~Josh

reedII

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2013, 05:05:07 AM »
WOW!!! Awesome. I thought i was performing plenty of upgrading, but you have gotten the grand prize. And it looks incredible to top it off. I too will one day learn your kung fu scooter  skills.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2013, 05:12:46 AM »
I like the intake set up on that!
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
WOW!!! Awesome. I thought i was performing plenty of upgrading, but you have gotten the grand prize. And it looks incredible to top it off. I too will one day learn your kung fu scooter  skills.
Thank you for the kind words. :)  I wanted the scooter to run fast, but look good as well.  When I first started racing it, it was just naked with no body work.  I want people to recognize it as a scooter, so the body panels were kind of important to me. 

As for "Kung Fu Scooter Skils", I have always enjoyed the quote "The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."  I have made power-robbing mistakes during the process of tuning this bike, and others, and I've been tuning scooters for a while now.  Thankfully I have the dyno and other tools to help guide me in the right direction.  I don't believe I will ever really consider myself any kind of "grandmaster 2-stroke tuner".  Instead, I hope to always be able to learn more and grow my skill set.  Perhaps I'll even get a few trophies under my belt in the process. :)

Ciao!

~Josh

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
I like the intake set up on that!
Thanks man. :)  I got the manifold from Racing Planet:
Racing Planet SF10 Manifold

The manifold adapter allows you to use a Minarelli inlet manifold, which is way better than the Kymco one.  I opened mine up quite a bit in hopes of improving airflow to the engine.  I hope to get back on the dyno this weekend after my work week is completed.  I hope to see an increase in power - hopefully back up over 15 HP.

~Josh

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »

When 190mech made the exhaust for me, I just bought the cheapest silencer I could find to go on it.  It was a blue color, and I've always disliked it on my scooter, because it didn't match anything.  I removed the blue, and polished up the silencer a bit.  It's far from perfect, but I like it a lot better.  I also cleaned the rust off of the exhaust.  I'm ashamed that I let it get that bad!

Too many wires... I'm hooking up the AIM e-box for the Mychron 4 data logger.

Here is the speed sensor mounting.  I wanted to put it on the front wheel, but it was a little easier to put it on the rear for now. 

It runs! 

It runs, into the dyno that is... :(  Damnit, didn't even race it with the fresh rebuild and I got a big scratch on my new paint.  Oh well. 

So, I have one more day to do any prep work to this before Twist and Gone...

~Josh

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()