Author Topic: The Decopod - Cool Retro/Deco style scooter!  (Read 725 times)

GLV55

• View Profile
The Decopod - Cool Retro/Deco style scooter!
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:49:38 AM »
Here's a link to a wonderful designer, Randy Grubb, from Grant's Pass, OR, who has designed a very slick aluminum "pod" body to go over a Piaggio Fly 150 (he calls it a BiPod) and a Piaggio MP3 (the TriPod). The end result is so cool!  8) Take a look at the videos towards the bottom of this web page. Each one he builds is a one-of-a-kind design, a true work of art. I would love to have one of these babies (not sure about the cost, but one was sold at an auction for about $25,000!). Worth the time to take a look.

http://www.randygrubb.com/decopod-tri-pod/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:52:00 AM by GLV55 »
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: The Decopod - Cool Retro/Deco style scooter!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Very cool, I love seeing artists work metal. I've worked with a few years ago when I was at a place that built concept cars. One buddy of mine used to work with me there has his own shop where he restores old cars like racing Ferraris. I'm always in awe that someone can take a flat piece of metal and turn it into bodywork.

When I first started watching the video my first thought was old metal pedal cars for kids. Wouldn't it be cool to make pedal car bodies or even better a electric bumper car body for scooters. I'm sure that would blow a few minds seeing what looks like a electric bumper car mast and all driving down the street!
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
This is so cool. The best part is these decopods are still fast at 60mph. Nice.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
...When I first started watching the video my first thought was old metal pedal cars for kids. Wouldn't it be cool to make pedal car bodies or even better a electric bumper car body for scooters. I'm sure that would blow a few minds seeing what looks like a electric bumper car mast and all driving down the street!
That would be fantastic!  8)
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »
Fortunately these are concepts not meant for production. Behind performance is safety first as crushable metal in scooter bodies or helmets raises some concerns. Recently I was working with some metal roofing that sliced right through my saws extension cord. Personally, I would not want a scooter/motorcycle with a shell that might injure the rider. But hey, these are fantasy concept vehicles, art work as it were.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
Fortunately these are concepts not meant for production. Behind performance is safety first as crushable metal in scooter bodies or helmets raises some concerns. Recently I was working with some metal roofing that sliced right through my saws extension cord. Personally, I would not want a scooter/motorcycle with a shell that might injure the rider. But hey, these are fantasy concept vehicles, art work as it were.

I am with you on this one Dan. In case of a crash, I wouldn't want a thin metal body keeping me tied to the scooter. Also the mirror like finish will probably make you invisible to other motorists. But it does look cool.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:48:08 AM »
Mr. Paul and Scooter Dan, I totally agree with you on the safety aspect. It would be just for the artwork of it all, and the cool factor. But that's a lot of money for a display item, which explains why a lot of his clients are in the L.A. area.
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()