Author Topic: Sticky Sliders.  (Read 730 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Sticky Sliders.
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:12:02 AM »
Hi All,

During my last CVT service, the mechanic replaced the sliders. Now, during the morning starts, the variator doesn't 'ramp' up till about after about 50m down the road.

Is this due to ill fitting sliders?

Thanks.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Sliders.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 05:25:02 AM »
what Wt. are your rollers or dr. pulley sliders ,     
  I seen in one forum that they opened the ramp sliders a very little bit,  so they would slide up better,  on my downtown I never had any problems like that,  but I have had 16 gram dr. pulleys in there for  the last 60,000 Km. for lower RPM. at highway speed,.  it makes slower take off ,  and my clutch never glazes over,.  as I take off with open throttle, all the time ,
 that makes my piaggio b v 350 clunk the wet clutch all the time,  just past 21,000 Km. now on it., 

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:38 AM »
My rollers are still the factory fitted ones. I definitely think they are due at close to 76000kms.

I am not sure that sliders the mechanic placed in, doubt they were original parts.

My issue one happens when the scooter is sitting over the weekend. If it is left overnight, it doesn't do that.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
I think we're talking 2 different things here.
"Sliders" as in the weights within the CVT.....
And "slide pieces", the v-shaped, non-moving, pieces which are snapped in to prevent metal to metal contact.

The mechanic replaced the " slide pieces", not the weights, and now they seem to stick if scoot is unused for a time, yes?

Sounds like those bits might be the wrong parts. They should not inhibit movement, no matter how long the scoot sits, unused.

Perhaps they'll loosen up in time...or you're going to have to go in there and replace, or message them until they allow free movement.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
I was talking about the slide pieces on the side of the ramp plate,   that I seen in an outher forum they polished the sliders so they would not stick on the variator pully, 

I thought the 16 gram Wts.,  would not cause sticking, they would be heavy enough to move the ramp plate with no trouble,  and of course take off with open throttle

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:19:08 AM »
Yeah, I think so too.

The slide pieces are probably 'sticking'. Will need to source a set of originals.

I think we're talking 2 different things here.
"Sliders" as in the weights within the CVT.....
And "slide pieces", the v-shaped, non-moving, pieces which are snapped in to prevent metal to metal contact.

The mechanic replaced the " slide pieces", not the weights, and now they seem to stick if scoot is unused for a time, yes?

Sounds like those bits might be the wrong parts. They should not inhibit movement, no matter how long the scoot sits, unused.

Perhaps they'll loosen up in time...or you're going to have to go in there and replace, or message them until they allow free movement.
Stig
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

balkoger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
Hi forum mate's,

Maybe late answer but as engineer I also check the unit when change the cvt belt.
The sliders (slide pieces) can be stuck if the weight rollers are not balanced.
I weighed all new genuine stock roller (15,5g) and between 8 rollers have almost 0,2 gramm differencies.
If these unbalanced rollers press the movable face unit from ramp plate, the four sliders not moving parallel causing permanent snatch.
I know in the service not pay attention of these, try to explain of these also need to check the roller side not equal, have different face and clean-clean-clean.
I polished the movable face unit and the sliders moving perfect.
Try to move ramp plate with sliders in the movable face unit without weigt rollers, if move smoth no problem .Check pictures
The rollers "smaller" side faced to clockwise if you faced movable unit from roller side, check attached pictures.

Best regards
Greg

Yeah, I think so too.

The slide pieces are probably 'sticking'. Will need to source a set of originals.
2011 Downtown 300i -Sold
2016 Honda NC 750 Integra - owned

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
OK, balkoger, that's the way a REAL engineer would do it! I never even considered the error distribution of the rollers! I may have to check mine the next opening....just for curiosity....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:46:04 PM »
I was talking about the slide pieces on the side of the ramp plate,   that I seen in an outher forum they polished the sliders so they would not stick on the variator pully, 

I thought the 16 gram Wts.,  would not cause sticking, they would be heavy enough to move the ramp plate with no trouble,  and of course take off with open throttle
  I did not say that I balance the Wts., to .01 gram , before I install them

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()