Author Topic: How do i remove white marks left on plastics after a petrol spill?  (Read 11508 times)

keratos

• View Profile
Filling up with fuel and petrol gushed over the black plastics. Washed down when I got home but there are white streaks all over the black plastics. Can I remove them, how? or do i need to respray my plastics - if so what with?

thanks

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: How do i remove white marks left on plastics after a petrol spill?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »
I would wipe on some Armor All or Son Of A Gun. They seem like the same product to me? These should make the plastic black again. :-*

keratos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Son of a Gun ? Whats that ? yankie stuff?

Armor all - no effect
Back to black - no effect
Boot polish - washes off

I think the issue here is that the paint has damaged the plastic ????

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
Repeated applications of Back to Black or similar will eventually get it looking right again.  Put product on thick and leave it on a good while -- like ten minutes before wiping off the excess.  I use a Meguire's product too called Interior Protectant or something like that. 

keratos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »
i will try these - thanks guys - will report back in a week or so with the results of daily application.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »
All the products mentioned contain silicone. Try one with a higher concentration of silicone... tire shine or tire black.

keratos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
what does the silicone do?

the petrol appears to have "scarred" the black plastics. The white streaks seem permanent. Armour-all , back-to-black, AG bumper care, shoe polish, etc are only cosmetic fixes , the streaks reappear. Is there a way of removing the petrol/petrol scarring in the plastic?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
what does the silicone do?

the petrol appears to have "scarred" the black plastics. The white streaks seem permanent. Armour-all , back-to-black, AG bumper care, shoe polish, etc are only cosmetic fixes , the streaks reappear. Is there a way of removing the petrol/petrol scarring in the plastic?

Silicone is an inert substance with a shiny characteristic. It is also a lubricant and used as a rubber restorer. you can Google for more info.

For the second question, you can paint the black plastic with flat black paint. That's the second option.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
I have over filled my bike several times with no streeks/marks. If anything, it has made the area darker? Is your bike white? Did it desolve the paint? If yes, what are they putting in your gas? Battery acid? I don't understand why normal gas would damage the plastic so bad. Every hand held gas tank is plastic, and gas is spilled on them all the time with no damage or discoloring. And gas should not desolve paint? This is very strange. Good luck. :-*

keratos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
Silicone is an inert substance with a shiny characteristic. It is also a lubricant and used as a rubber restorer. you can Google for more info.

For the second question, you can paint the black plastic with flat black paint. That's the second option.

Sorry, I know what Silicone is, I was querying what it does in terms of this application - i.e. is it removing petrol , or is it loosening the paint, or something else. What did you suggest using silicone?

keratos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »
I have over filled my bike several times with no streeks/marks. If anything, it has made the area darker? Is your bike white? Did it desolve the paint? If yes, what are they putting in your gas? Battery acid? I don't understand why normal gas would damage the plastic so bad. Every hand held gas tank is plastic, and gas is spilled on them all the time with no damage or discoloring. And gas should not desolve paint? This is very strange. Good luck. :-*

UK Petrol always will mark/stain plastics is spilt. Its a common problem - people will often say "oh I spilt a bit of fuel" but never happened to me until now - so I have never asked for a solution until now. I've asked others what they have done but no one knows a fix - they just "live with it"

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
Sorry, I know what Silicone is, I was querying what it does in terms of this application - i.e. is it removing petrol , or is it loosening the paint, or something else. What did you suggest using silicone?

Silicone based products like protectants for dashboard, tire shine, will mask the stain and just restore the original appearance of your plastic, vinyl, etc. It is not a permanent solution. If you are not satisfied, paint the plastic! In our country, If the gasoline boy spills petrol, he will get a black eye. Petrol is very expensive!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:58 AM »
I can't say if our gas in the USA always discolored black plastic since I didn't ride from the late 1970's till 2009.  But since I've had my Xciting I've spilled a few times and it always turns the black to a medium to light shade of gray.  I treat with my Meguire's product a few times and it goes away eventually and doesn't come back.  I treat every few months regardless because the sun begins to turn it gray as well.   

Now brake fluid is a real killer!  Turns the plastic dark and actually eats it. If untreated, will disintegrate into gray flakes.  I hate the fact that our master cylinder reservoirs are located where one can hardly help but drip brake fluid onto the plastic!  So I learned to be ESPECIALLY careful when adding or bleeding brake fluid!  Even so, if I do spill it, I wash the area right away with detergent and warm water.  Then apply my protectant. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:13 AM »
Like this...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()