Author Topic: how do you apply your ACF50?  (Read 335 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
how do you apply your ACF50?
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:52 PM »
after applying ACF50 (oily, rust preventative fluid) to the suspension components of my minivan last night..I'm curious how others apply this sticky, drippy, messy, smelly liquid? I like the look of the suspension, kind of looks like it was painted with black, glossy paint.

It was a particularly unpleasant experience (although also strangely satisfying). I put first the rear and then the front of my van up on ramps so I could slide under to apply. I used the included sprayer (wish it would spray a mist rather than the squirt gun like pattern it does spray, but probably not possible due to the thickness of the liquid) and a microfiber rag that was also soaked with ACF50 to smear on all the suspension components. I had a large absorbent covering on the floor and goggles and gloves on.

In a perfect world the vehicle would be up on a lift and the ACF50 applied through a sprayer connected to a large compressor.

For those who use it on your bikes do you spray rub and wipe until all is covered? How much of your bike do you cover? I was looking at my scoot and didn't notice many steel parts that would be exposed to the weather. I'm sure the frame would be a good target of the acf50...but since I don't ride in the rain I will pass for now on ACF50'ing my scoot or motorcycle.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: how do you apply your ACF50?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 12:24:40 AM »
Stuff is pretty cool.
Can go anywhere on a scooter except brake discs or brake pads.
Anywhere  - including electrical connections - to halt and prevent corrosion.

I use a pump sprayer.
I apply it with a rag > but mostly with a 3" paintbrush - which is great for working it into places like side-stand & shock springs, cooling ribs on engines,  and reaching into crevices and under heat shields on the muffler, etc.

Smells when it's cooking in - but that is an odor which tells me I've done something to protect and preserve my scooter.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:13:40 AM »
a pump up sprayer?...hmmm...that's something I didn't think of..would probably dispense it much better.  It does give the feeling that the magic, oily concoction is protecting everything it covers. Now I wish I'd have been using this stuff since day 1 on my van.  It would be a very good investment for those who ride in inclement weather.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
  on my car I had Crown mist spray  for $150.  high preasure  on a lift,   just keep it off the pavement for 4 days,  till it stops dripping, 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »
I have some ACF50 here in grease form; sometimes use it on bits of frame on builds where I think it's a bit over-exposed.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()