Author Topic: Tight Valves!!!  (Read 1338 times)

flying old guy

• View Profile
Tight Valves!!!
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
Good morning. Rainy day so I decided I would do a little overdue work on My Yager 200i.  I bought it this summer with about 2k miles. It now has 2600. Not a lot but I thought I would check the valves. The bike runs very good but I doubt anyone has ever checked them. To my surprise, Both valves were tight. I was only able to slid a .002 and that was tight. Opened them up to .004 I and .005 E.  Bike doesn't run any better But I feel better. Glad I checked.

CanuckFJ

• View Profile
Re: Tight Valves!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:51:06 PM »
Bit of a surprise that they would need adjusting at 2600 miles; guess I'd better check mine as I'm just over 4K  :-\
Kymco Yager GT200i
Triumph Trophy 900
Yamaha FJ1100
Yamaha FJ1200
Kawasaki KZ650
Delta, BC

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Yeah, a little snug! Bet they don't ever move from your setting!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:14:15 PM »
WHEN i DID MY timing  the intake was right on and the exhaust was just a little tight, at 24,000 Km.s,,  when I bought it,  I will do it again at 50,000 Km.s next summer

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »
Hi De Dee. I have only put on about 100 miles since I started the post. Can I ask, Is that 24000km on a Yeager gt200i? If so that"s the most miles I have seen on one. I'm really new to Kymco and really haven't developed a trust in the brand yet, but still trying. 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi flying (old) guy,
I do not have a Yager 200i but an aircooled Like 200i with 49000 km on the odometer.
Yes, one could say it's comparing apples with pears, because of completely different systems.
Just want to say, material and finish at least of this Kymco scooters which l saw here in Italy, is great if you see the purchase price and what you get for. I would go again for this brand, for l watched so called high end scooters from prestige- brands, and recognized a lot of flaws in finish. Also Kymco, at least my Like, is easy to work on it and to maintain. Aftermarket and used spareparts are inexpensive and fit exactely. For any technical challenge you face, you are here in this forum at home.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
I thank you Rufus for the info. I do spend a lot of reading time on this forum and can say I've read every post under the Yeager section. The one thing that that comes up that bothers me is that folks seem to complain about lack of dealer support and parts. I have not run into a single problem with my Yeager but bought it late into the past year so have very few miles on it. Only about 2700. Up here in the north east, it's snowmobile weather. Thanks, Ernie up in "Maine"

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
Well Ernie,
with this low mileage you should  under normal use/ abuse of your Yager not look into any trouble. And even IF there would be any inconvenience from your rides side, there will be always a way to patch it up again.
Spareparts, all you need for maintenance, are easely available via internet. Oil and other stuff will for sure have one of your local dealer or Checkers, or..
In case that you would need an original, let's say bodypart, again go for used parts found at national sale-platforms.

Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()