Author Topic: Radiator Access and Dash Guages,  (Read 3638 times)

Tezza

• View Profile
Radiator Access and Dash Guages,
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:47 AM »
Hi, New to this site and slowly learning the entry methods !  :-[  I have just purchased a Used 2010 EGO (B & W) with only 1300 klms on the Speedo. Although I have downloaded the Workshop Manual and Parts List for reference purposes, I am unable to remove the Front Top Cover to access the radiator filling cap. I have removed the 4 screws from beneath the handle bars as shown in the book but am still unable to remove the top cover. Can someone tell me the secret ? I have tried to slide it up and down and gently squeeze it to release any clips that may be engaged along the edge, but no joy. Help please.
Another problem is that only half of the guages on the "dash" panel work. No Fuel Guage, although the Low Fuel light is on constantly, No clock, no ambient temperature reading. Is this a normal problem or just mine. Any advise will be gratefully received. Regards, Tezza

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator Access and Dash Guages,
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
I had to look this one up. The 'net has it as a Kymco 250. Is that right? Regardless, panel removal is very labor intensive and it is not always apparent how they are fixed together. Make sure the workspace and the scoot are at 70 deg F or above. This may save breaking off the many gripper tabs that hold most of the Tupperware together. This is all after you have removed and carefully stowed the many screws that do the heavy holding. Devise a system so you know where each screw was located.

The radiator cap will be inside the front outside panels but I think you knew that. Make up your mind that you may have to take off nearly all the body work to get there. Only some of the dealer techs know how to do this without destroying nearly everything so do it yourself.

Your gage problem is not normal. They should work. Several plugs may be un-plugged and probably right on the back of the panel.

Welcome to the site!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Well it just says remove 4 screws then remove front cover. They are usually tough the first time
then easier after that. From the service manual;
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Tezza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
Hi Karl & Motorandy123, Here in Australia the model you know as the Bet & Win is badged as the EGO 250. "Same horse different colour", as they say. Thanks for the advise. I was thinking along the lines of multiple plastic tabs but was hoping there was an easy out to the removal. Is there an initial action of sliding the Top Cover up OR down after the screws are removed. From looking up under the panel from beside the front wheel there appears to be 2 "hooks" which may need to be disengaged first ?? If only this cover can be removed I am sure some of the wiring etc wil also be revealed and I may find an answer to my dash problem. Here's hoping. Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. Kymco Agents are few and far between in my area of Victoria. Regards, Terry.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
Sorry I have the Yager and have had it apart but it's completely different.
Those manuals aren't always helpful (step 1 remove engine....)

If it has tabs you don't want to force it. If you can reach behind and push
the open side down it might help. Like I say the first time is tough. Once
you have it apart a touch of grease on the tabs will help them slide next time.

This blow up defiantly shows some snaps at the top. You need to release the
top and hinge it down most likely;
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:45:41 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Tezza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the graphics and suggestions. I will wait until we get a nice hot day. Park it in the sun and let it heat up and they may make it a little mor supple. Getting that top cover off seems to be the key to all the covers and panels at the front end. it seems as though "Gently does it" is the key until all is revealed. Thanks

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:46 AM »
The access panel is simply clipped on after the four screws on the bag hook side under the handlebars are removed. It should pop right off with moderate force.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Tezza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »
So there are no slotted clips which require the cover to be slid toward the handle bars ? Just straight press clips ? Thanks for your interest. Regards, Terry

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »
There are both types of clips. Pop the panel out at the top and it should slide out upwards. But the clips aren't that tight of a fit. You shouldn't feel like you're tearing the panel off and snapping clips.

As for the LCD dash connectors, the ends aren't behind the access panel. You have to disassemble the handlebar surround, particularly the black textured plastic around the base.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:46:05 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Tezza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I have had several gentle attempts so I will have to be a little more firm. The upward sliding movement seems to agree with what I have seen by looking up under the cover from beside the front wheel. I realise that I will have to attack the dash from a different direction but having that top cover off is my main concern as the radiator level indicator is showing a low level of coolant. The covers and panels appears to be jigsaw like in that by removing one it reveals further anchor points for other panels. I gather from my research that the B & W was discontinued around 2007 in the States. What was its replaced called ? Thanks again for all the info and assistance. Regards, Terry.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »
The Bet and Win 250 was replaced by two different bikes: the Frost 200i and the Downtown 300i. The Frost shares a similar city bike shape albeit with fuel injection and a smaller engine, while the Downtown 300i has a bigger, heavier maxi-scooter body for comfortable touring.

You can read an overview of the various Kymco bikes on Motor Scooter Guide.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Tezza

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:09:41 AM »
Success at last. Front top cover removed and NO damage. Great. Radiator topped off and all is sweet. Thanks to Karl for his suggestion of waiting for a 70 + day to soften the plastic. Around 95 here today, worked well. Thanks also to Motorandy123 for his suggestion to put a light coating of grease on the tabs when re-assembling, ready for next time.  Great Forum and no doubt I will be back. Thanks to all, Terry. :) :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()