Author Topic: Ok this is weird  (Read 2380 times)

johnrambo56

• View Profile
Ok this is weird
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
Ok, so I got it to stop cutting out at an idle.  It was running perfect again!

When I first bought this bike I had trouble keeping it running, I took it back to the dealership and they replaced a valve in the fuel system.  They told me this valve goes bad when the gas tank is over-filled. 

Well it seems to be doing the same thing after I accidentally over-filled it.  I've ran it for several hundred miles/KMs without over-filling and it's still cutting out then starting back up again after 60 seconds (hard start).  Then it runs seemingly perfect again for about 20 miles/31km.

Have you guys heard of this problem in the Venox before?  Do you know of any solutions?

Zombie, be nice!

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: Ok this is weird
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
well i have heard about this before but there were 2 scenarios, one guy who had a vacuum lock on the fuel tank which limited the amount of fuel that is going into the carbs, every now and then he would have to open up the filling cap to release pressure.  and the other guy who had actually i miss fire cylinder due to rich running fouling and had to restart the bike every time he was at a stop light or had to stay in idle.
either one is a easy fix. for fuel lock problem there is something on the filler cap that has to vent the tank to equalize with 1ATM all the time. and for the fouling problem... clean air filter, idle jet tuning, carb balancing and clean spark plugs.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
well i have heard about this before but there were 2 scenarios, one guy who had a vacuum lock on the fuel tank which limited the amount of fuel that is going into the carbs, every now and then he would have to open up the filling cap to release pressure.  and the other guy who had actually i miss fire cylinder due to rich running fouling and had to restart the bike every time he was at a stop light or had to stay in idle.
either one is a easy fix. for fuel lock problem there is something on the filler cap that has to vent the tank to equalize with 1ATM all the time. and for the fouling problem... clean air filter, idle jet tuning, carb balancing and clean spark plugs.
I had a heck of a vacuum forming in my gas tank at times - depending on air temps and sitting times - I used a can of computer blower/air to blast in the holes of the gas cap....whatever was clogging the cap went away - and the tank went back to venting perfectly through the cap.. No more sucking noises when I open the cap.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
I had a heck of a vacuum forming in my gas tank at times - depending on air temps and sitting times - I used a can of computer blower/air to blast in the holes of the gas cap....whatever was clogging the cap went away - and the tank went back to venting perfectly through the cap.. No more sucking noises when I open the cap.
exactly! sucking sound when you open the tank when it stalls is clear diagnosis for vacuum lock problem.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:58 AM »
I'm always nice... Blunt maybe but considerate, and kind. HAH!

What valve did they replace?

60 seconds to restart doesn't really sound like a fuel vacuum issue. That sounds more like a stator issue to me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

johnrambo56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
Ok, I kept running it, ran a couple more gallons of gas through it without overfilling it.  It seems to be cleared away.  I read somewhere online that when you (I) overfill it, it runs into the evaporation canister and stops air from getting into the tank while riding.  If that's the case, that sure is a weird design flaw.

Looks like I have a buyer lined up, that means I can't bug you guys anymore! 

A buddy of mine is buying it for his wife.  Perfect starter bike, 250 w/rev limiter, pre-wrecked! 

johnrambo56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:49:12 AM »
I'm going to miss you guys!

Are you guys going to miss my stupid posts at 3AM and having to convert everything I say to the metric system?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »
Give them the web address. Their gonna need it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

johnrambo56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:00:21 AM »
YEP!!  Already told him about the site!

Thanks for all the help you guys have been!  I really appreciate it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »
 ;)  :-*

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
 :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()