Author Topic: Freeway Riders, how do you handle angry tailgaters?  (Read 3184 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
Freeway Riders, how do you handle angry tailgaters?
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:53:13 AM »
Hey,

Owner of a Kymco Xciting500 here.

I wanted to exchange info and ideas on how to deal with tailgaters, particularly the ones who tailgate at higher speeds, like 70, 80, 90, etc.

How do you guys handle it? How do you feel about it? How do you want to prevent it in the future?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Freeway Riders, how do you handle angry tailgaters?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
  I slow down with the tail lights flashing and turn off to the right ,better they are in front of you,. 
  wrong picture again my naked downtown

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
trying to post pictures,.   looks like my piaggio with home made top box mounting plate,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:32:56 AM by de dee »

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
top box with lights this time,   full line running lights , shot lights turn sygnal
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:37:14 AM by de dee »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
I handle it by getting out of the way.
How do I like it? Not a fan.
How to prevent it? Can’t.

That’s why I get out of the way.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
I loved the way MSF Basic course put it: "Increase your following distance...." as opposed to slowing down! I guess they wanted to convey the idea of slowing A LITTLE. So we would not brake check the tailgater. I am amazed at the number of people who will tailgate but never seem willing to pass. Real problem here in the Deep South it seems. Slowing a little seems to work on two or more lanes going in the same direction but is nearly unworkable on a two-lane with unlimited visibility and no opposing traffic. This tailgate problem is really tough because generally we can stop quicker than a car as long as we stay up and the cagers do not ever consider this. Californis freeways have been traditionally (from my experience starting 1960) fast paced and tightly packed and I don't think there is a whole lot we can do about it. Skinny roads as an alternative work in the country not in the LA basin or any populated area.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »
Pump the brake lights a few times. If that doesn't work. Speed up if possible. If that doesn't work, find a place to pull over the let them by; with a courteous gesture.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
Here in the Memphis area, we have the additional problem, on the interstate loop, especially the south 240 loop, of two or three cars or rockets racing each other. They dodge from lane to lane at 70 mph and up, tailgating, near misses on passing and cutting off other drivers. Down right dangerous, even if you're in a cage, and even more so, on a bike. Law enforcement looks the other way. Best defense is stay off the loop or ride in far right lane, even thought they aren't opposed to passing on the shoulder in order to win their race. Karl can verify this, I.m sure.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »
Sure can, Mac!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »
trying to post pictures,.   looks like my piaggio with home made top box mounting plate,

On these narcissistic California freeways, that methodology can be quite dangerous because the person in the next lane may also be far past the speed limit.

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »

AMAC

That looks nice. I do have the built in hazard light feature on the xciting500. I tried using it once and realized people here are not going to respond to it. This was when I was going about 75 in the "fast lane" and somebody was tailgating me till I knocked it up to 90!

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »

AMAC

Getting out of the way meaning pulling to the side?

On these southern California freeways that is not often a viable option because a lot of drivers drive the same way. They take their aggressions out on the freeway. For me getting out of the way is becoming a master of lane splitting and hopping. With extreme caution however. Being from New York, I have learned to have super-hero like peripheral vision and to see things from a distance instead of wait till when they're right upon me. Again, with extreme caution and conscientiousness.

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
Pump the brake lights a few times. If that doesn't work. Speed up if possible. If that doesn't work, find a place to pull over the let them by; with a courteous gesture.

I've learned that some degree of traffic is most drivers enemies but a friend and ALLY when you are on a bike. I enjoy being able to squeeze into spaces that automobile drivers cannot. It makes me feel like i'm riding a horse or something.

In California there seems to be a weird disdain for motorcyclists on the part of a segment of the population, and I think that is why some individuals angrily tailgate us. On the other hand I have observed the angry tailgate tendency irregardless of vehicle type.

I think it might be a mistake to try and wrap our minds around the psychology of pathological tailgaters. The best thing I feel is to always have a plan to look ahead, look behind and get the peripheral vision and reflexes to the point of near perfection. This way, I am in almost complete control of the situation.

Of course, that means to a very certain degree. I cannot control the world around me, but I can control my place in it.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
Getting out of the way meaning pulling to the side?

On these southern California freeways that is not often a viable option because a lot of drivers drive the same way. They take their aggressions out on the freeway. For me getting out of the way is becoming a master of lane splitting and hopping. With extreme caution however. Being from New York, I have learned to have super-hero like peripheral vision and to see things from a distance instead of wait till when they're right upon me. Again, with extreme caution and conscientiousness.

No I mean the right lane.
I’ve done 10 of thousands of miles on scoots on the slab. Ran from NJ to Florida on a s200 on the small side and San Diego to Sonoma a number of times on an DT300 so I get how it’s done. Never needed to pull to the shoulder.

I’ve never fooled myself into thinking i have some superhero power to avaoid a holes even though I’m from Brooklyn. If you can’t take the tailgaters, swerves, texters etal it’s time for an SUV.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 02:44:11 AM »
Not going in to details, two actions, be pro-active and move over.  See the trouble before it sees you and avoid it.  Coming from 90's, I used to street race and everything that I could've done and stupidly done have been done by me.  I don't any more but every time I see clowns pull sh**s on the highway like that I laugh at them, all because I've seen and done way worse.  Not proud but I can say I've been there.  I am not fastest or slowest by any means, but avoiding trouble and get to your destination safely is the GAME!

I tend to change my driving/riding habit according the machine/comfort zone I am operating.  Most people can't make that change or judgment.  Let's face it, scooter on the highway is the bottom of the food chain and everyone wants a piece of you lol  it's the mentality in the USA.  Most people think scooter is a toy, most people think crashing 60mph on scooter some how hurts less then anything, most people think your slow, most people think your a tree hugger, most people think your poor, and lastly most people don't respect scooters or care for it and that includes other motorcycle riders lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()