Author Topic: How tighten mirrors?  (Read 8932 times)

rick71

• View Profile
How tighten mirrors?
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
How do you tighten a mirror?

My right mirror came loose and I don't see a way to tighten it.
Rick

ts1

• View Profile
Re: How tighten mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »
Old model (mirrors on bodywork):
Remove the plastic cover on the mirror arm and you see the 2 screws.

New model (mirrors on handlebar):
Screws should hide under a gum cover at the handlebar.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
Yes, on newer models, under the rubber boot at the handlebar.  Peel it up and you'll find a 17mm nut.  Position mirror arm where you want it, then tighten the nut.  Check that mirror doesn't hit windshield. 

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
Thanks. I found the nut under rubber "boot".  I was able to tighten it a little by hand. Hopefully that will keep it tight until I get home tonight, and hopefully I'll have the correct wrench size. ... and thanks for the size info.
Rick

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »
I tightened the nut under the rubber boot. All seemed fine. Then, when I was riding to work this morning, my mirror loosened up. I was able to twirl it around an then position it. Anyone have any idea why mirror and assembly seems to be coming apart, and what I can do about it?
Rick

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »
They will all vibrate loose at some point. You can lengthen this interval by applying a dab of blue thread compound on the length of the thread before inserting and re-tightening the mirror.

Don't recall ever futzing with the mirrors on an Xciting... 17mm?  Wow, that's the oil drain plug size.  Most mirrors take a 14mm wrench to adjust.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
mirror adjusting nut needs tightening up on a fairly regular basis, my mirrors will move around  slowely while riding , even though the nut is tight, have to push back to good viewing position by giving a thump with the hell of the hand. they are not slack as such but they wont stay put

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:34:58 AM »
Another factor: If you use a cover, you will need to adjust and/or tighten the mirrors more frequently.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Why would I need to tighten the mirrors more frequently if I use a cover (which I  do)?
Rick

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »
I think he's saying because putting the cover on and off is likely to move the mirrors.  I hang my helmet on mine a lot and it pushes the mirror out of position sometimes but never had them loosen at the handlebar.

I had mine off the other day for some cleaning purposes.  They were on nice and tight and that's how I put em back. Really crank down on that nut!

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
It isn’t just the nut on the bottom that has gotten loose. The upper part of the mirror has gotten loose, too. I had to spin the mirror itself, and then try to position the stalk without loosening either the nut or the mirror.

I wonder if there are any third party mirrors for the X500?
Rick

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
If they are 10mm stalk, 14mm nut... there's only about 40 million.  ;) 

This is a wholesaler's site, but it gives you an idea what's available... page through it to see what WPS has, and call your local dealer and ask if they order from WPS (or have a catalog from their wholesaler where you can look for mirrors).

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
From what Hoolander2 says, they are 17mm nut.
Rick

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
Hey.  Sorry if I stated wrong size for the nut, maybe it is 14mm.  Well, gee, sorry you're having this annoying prob.  There IS another nut on top of the stalk you get to by popping off the little black plastic half circle cap at the angle in the stalk.  I've looked at it but think it would be hard to tighten.  You could try.

I think I've seen accesory mirrors at either the Kymco Global or Kymco USA site.  They're chrome or stainless as I recall. 

Some day if I ever get around to it, I'd like to do a mod which I saw on youtube.  It would involve finding a pair of old style Xciting mirrors -- the contoured aerodymic ones that mounted on the fairing.  I saw a vid in which a fellow made mounts that went up under the edge of the black plastic windshield edging.  Turned out great and no drilling of the fairing needed. 

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »
The mirror stalk also screws down into the base. Using the mirror head, just unscrew it all the way, apply a bit of blue thread lock and screw it back in. This is also the location to install mirror extensions moving the mirrors outward and upward.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()