Author Topic: Lifting Your Machine for Maintenance - Best Method?  (Read 665 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Lifting Your Machine for Maintenance - Best Method?
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
OK folks, I've already got 60 miles on my new 450i, so more than halfway to the initial oil and diff fluid change. As I look ahead to doing that, I am curious as to what you guys have found to be the easiest method for lifting the machine for better access to the drain plugs. Of course, there are the standard little ramps you use with highway vehicles. But there's also the option to use a regular jack to lift the unit and put it on blocks, or get one of those special ATV/UTV lift jacks that slide under the unit and lift the whole machine at once. Given that, I'm wondering what everyone has found to be the best "system" that works well for them and makes completing basic maintenance tasks as easily as possible.

On a related note, because virtually all of the bottom of the machine is covered with the plastic skid plate, it's hard to know exactly where the frame is. I guess it's probably safe to assume that places where the skid plate is bolted on is attached to the frame, but wondering how you guys decide exactly where to place your jack when you can't actually see what's on the other side.

Thanks! 
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Lifting Your Machine for Maintenance - Best Method?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »
It is tricky with the full skid plates but this is what I do...I use a set of auto ramps and drive the front wheels up on them. I use a hitch on the rear to jack the rear up as high or higher than the front so I can crawl under the machine. Of course I have stands under the rear arms for safety. This allows complete freedom to remove all skid plates for underside service.  If I am just servicing wheels or suspension parts, I jack up individual corners with a floor jack.  Hope this helps...

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:03 PM »
Spend a lot of time crawling under it and cursing. Especially the front diff plug. Have invented several new words.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:29:22 AM »
Getting it up in the air a bit helps, but still a pain....especially the front diff fill and drain plug.  At my age it is not getting any easier as time goes on!

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
My father-in-law owns a used car sales/auto repair shop. Maybe I'll just bring it over to his place and put it on the lift! It's about a 1 hour, 20 minute drive out there, but from the way you guys are making it sound, maybe I'd spend more time than that just crawling around under the machine and cussing!  ;)
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
Working with my arms overhead on a lift would also be a pain for me.  While it sounds bad it really isnt, I can have my machine up and all fluids changed in an hour and back on the road.  However it takes me another hour to recoupe from aches and pains as I am 69 yrs old!

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
Floor jack and 4 Jack Stands. Harbor Freight
CJS

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
That will work, but a pair of plastic car ramps would be quicker!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()