Author Topic: Does riding change you?  (Read 2506 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Does riding change you?
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
I was reading a fellow bloggers interesting piece the other day on how riding has changed him.  Which got me thinking, has riding changed me?  To a certain extent I would say "yes."  I'm more observant now. 

I'm more willing to take the back roads.  I'm more willing to go down a road I don't know.  I'm more willing to pull of the side of the road for a picture or just soak in the moment.

So...how does riding change you?  Here is the original blog post:  http://scooterinthesticks.com/2015/07/exploring-life/

And of course...my reaction to it.  http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2015/07/riding-changes-you.html
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Does riding change you?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:38 PM »
It's interesting, I was going to reply on your own blog, but I can do it here.

Has riding change me? I'd say yes. My crash changed me, physically (may have to have some oral surgery soon), mentally and mature-wise. My new scooter has changed and challenged me, making me feel I have both come of age, and still know nothing. My love for riding and scootering has been renewed. I've become active in a local scooter group in philly, one that both deals with and challenges the PPA (Philadelphia Parking Authority), the same institution that had it's own reality TV show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182156/

The PPA has implemented parking corrals for scooters and M/Cs across the city, but a policy that has many flaws and advantages. I'm documenting and surveying all of the corrals in the city, with the hopes the information will affect policy changes and improvements.

My new scooter has expanded my riding horizons, allowing me to look at the possibility of going anywhere, from a trip to the Jersey Shore to possibly Canada. As a filmmaker I'm considering making a documentary on my rides. Last, riding is now part of my marriage. There was a lot of resistance from my wife when I first began riding about 5 years ago. She loves it now, often being the one to kick me in the butt with a request for a ride -- scooter therapy, as she calls it, just to get away from things. With a bigger scooter and more storage we're looking at longer day trips and places to visit.
In a span of three months since my crash I've gone from scooter commuter to traveler. From rider to activist. I'd say riding has changed me.

Change is good.

-Wolf

smallbudget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:45:10 AM »
 I rode for many years and stopped. I started to tell you life just got in the way. I suppose my life got in the way to the point that I lost some of my participation and inherent appreciation of life in general. I didn't camp, shoot, travel, fleamarket etc. as much. Chemo. changed that. I look at everything differently now. I also started riding again. Riding didn't change me, I changed and found myself appreciating the small things again. Rerealizing that the small things ARE the big things. For me it's not "I ride therefore I am" it's "I am therefore I ride". I enjoyed your links sir. Oh, so far so good, no pity please, God has my back.

smallbudget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:48:55 AM »
Oh, seems like ya have a lot of heart to me. He has your back too. Best wishes.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
...I'm more observant now. 

I'm more willing to take the back roads.  I'm more willing to go down a road I don't know.  I'm more willing to pull of the side of the road for a picture or just soak in the moment.

So...how does riding change you? 
Well, that sums it up nicely for me! My dentist and I were talking about this subject a few months ago, and we decided that a lot of the magic about riding that it's the closest we will come to flying without leaving the ground. It's just a Zen thing that cagers will never understand.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Interesting thread, here.
Took the day off for another pre-sunrise ride to this old hippie village's coffee shops.
Came here when I was a teenager....and with a scooter I'm back nearly every week if the roads are free of ice and snow.

Nearly half a century ago I bought a Honda bike and explored Massachusetts with my young wife on the back. It was our only wheels. After the war, and with children coming I had to buy a vw bus and lose the bikes.
Now I'm back to riding.
I DO recognize that it is a selfish pastime.....since I am putting at risk the father of my six children, and the husband of my wife.....people I would not hurt for the world.
Sitting outside here with my helmet on the table next to my third coffee, as this town awakens, trusting that God and my gear will look after my final years.

Sometimes still wonder what I'll be when I grow up. 
Stig
Changed, no. Full circle maybe.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

springdew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:33:09 PM »
I am changed in the ways that houndguy said. Much more alert. I especially notice the difference when I do drive my truck, as I don't zone out into my head the way I used to as much. One of my challenges in life is learning to live in the moment, to have my mind be where my body is. Riding helps that a lot, helps me stop fussing over things that are not happening right this instant and instead pay attention to the here and now. That's serenity.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
I've been riding for over 35 years and 400,000++ miles.  Has it changed me? 

I'm a rider.  It's who I am.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
When I'm on 2wheels I feel free, almost the a bird flying above all the turmoil. It's hard to put into words.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 01:11:01 AM »
The short answer is yes.

I (like many) never rode "2 wheelers" but occasionally would talk about what I'd get if I did.  Scooters weren't even a consideration. I had a life changing year where I hit rock bottom. As I tried to rebuild I was without driving privileges. I was informed of what is often called the DUI Special. I was able to get a Moped license and quickly found myself able to get to where work was. I was able to go and have a social life again. These things didn't change my life as much as reestablished it. As I rode though, slow changes happened. Most practically I came out of my sensory bubble and became much more aware of traffic, road hazards/quality, etc. Basically my senses woke up. Then the deeper much more precious changes began to be more noticable. I started having these moments when I was commuting where everything would just let go. I could physically feel my body relax. I could feel my mind ease up and my depression (for a short time) fade away. I would have these pure moments where I felt child like again. I still get those moments from time to time. That brought true change in me. And on the flip side. I'd never had road rage until my first time a "cager" nearly killed me. But with those moments came great adrenaline and in it's own way excitement and really feeling alive.

My 2 cents
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:13:12 AM by NeoGenesisMax »

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
The short answer is yes.

I (like many) never rode "2 wheelers" but occasionally would talk about what I'd get if I did.  Scooters weren't even a consideration. I had a life changing year where I hit rock bottom. As I tried to rebuild I was without driving privileges. I was informed of what is often called the DUI Special. I was able to get a Moped license and quickly found myself able to get to where work was. I was able to go and have a social life again. These things didn't change my life as much as reestablished it. As I rode though, slow changes happened. Most practically I came out of my sensory bubble and became much more aware of traffic, road hazards/quality, etc. Basically my senses woke up. Then the deeper much more precious changes began to be more noticable. I started having these moments when I was commuting where everything would just let go. I could physically feel my body relax. I could feel my mind ease up and my depression (for a short time) fade away. I would have these pure moments where I felt child like again. I still get those moments from time to time. That brought true change in me. And on the flip side. I'd never had road rage until my first time a "cager" nearly killed me. But with those moments came great adrenaline and in it's own way excitement and really feeling alive.

My 2 cents
Well said, Neo!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()