Author Topic: Moving shocks  (Read 1810 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Moving shocks
« on: September 14, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »
For those that moved there shocks out...have my spring retainers unscrewed out as far as possible and front end raised with tires off the ground...still to much spring compression t remove the top bolt.  How did you folks compress the shock spring enough to move the shocks?  Thanks in advance

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Moving shocks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:39:59 PM »
It turned out to be a stuck bolt, thought the spring needed compressed more but was not the case. Shock bolt needs removed quickly or it becomes jammed.  Thanks for the suggestions.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:39:31 AM »
Have the shocks moved out and springs softened up for hopefully a smoother ride over whoops and offcamber riding. These are not race machines in any way, but where I ride there are lots of whooped up areas leading into and out of the trail leads. Had springs cranked up stiff but made for a rough ride in the wooped up areas. Going up north this comming week to try out the new setup. Gained about 1-1/2"  additional clearance even with shock springs softened almost all the way.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
Someone please enlighten me: is moving the shocks to a different position, beyond simply playing with the tension, a built-in option on the frame? I have not heard anything about this before. I have a UXV 450; not sure if it's the same for all models.

Any input from those who have done this would be great. Pictures would be even better!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:55:31 AM »
Most folks are looking for more ground clearance, so they adjust the shock springs up tight to stretch the shocks to full length. This can be a stiff ride on rough terrain.  By backing off shock springs to make a softer ride you lower the ground clearance. If you look up under the machine you will see another set of holes further to the outside where the shocks can be moved out to a more straight up and down position. This adds almost 2" to the overall height of the machine by increasing ground clearance. Now you can back off the springs to make a softer ride while still gaining most of the added ground clearance. You gain more clearance while making a softer ride over rough ground. At least that is the theory. Many have made this change and claim it works well. I will be hitting the trails later this week to see how it really works.  To move the rear shocks out you need to remove the sway bar. Many claim the sway bar is not needed on this machine.  If you are racing into a corner hard at speed this bar helps keep the rear flatter. These machines are not performance or made/designed for any kind of racing. Many claim the sway bar keeps the independent rear suspension from doing its job on extreme uneven ground. I took mine on the paved road and my very uneven back 40 and found no issues at this point. After this week I will have put it threw its paces.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »
10-4. Thanks for the info! Please let me know how your riding goes this weekend. I may look into making a similar modification to my machine at some point in the future. An extra two inches of ground clearance is a big deal! And, you are right, no one is going racing with these things!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:58 PM »
What does moving them out do to wear on other parts?

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
The only real issue could be excess strain on the cv joints if they are at a steep angle, it can cause excess or accelerated wear.  On the Kymco 450i they are not at an excessive angle even after moving the shocks. By backing off the shock springs It only added about one and a half inches of lift.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 02:44:07 PM »
Back from a 3 day ride and have found the ride a little smoother by moving shocks outward and backing off spring adjusters. Not a major difference but yet an improvement!  It took that almost bone jarring jolt out of the ride when going over multiple whoops. Having the springs cranked up to full stiffnes was a little harsh on this old body.  I do like the little bit softer ride.  Found no issues with handling at speed, steering seemed a little bit more responsive going thru loose sand at a good speed, I think the softer spring setting allowed the suspension to respond better. The higher ground clearance is also a plus if you ride where that is needed. The removal of the sway bar had absolutely NO negative effects the I could find. Went thru some pretty off camber trails with ease. Make your own call on making this mod but so far I am glad I did....

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 02:49:43 AM »
Back from a 3 day ride and have found the ride a little smoother by moving shocks outward and backing off spring adjusters. Not a major difference but yet an improvement!  It took that almost bone jarring jolt out of the ride when going over multiple whoops. Having the springs cranked up to full stiffnes was a little harsh on this old body.  I do like the little bit softer ride.  Found no issues with handling at speed, steering seemed a little bit more responsive going thru loose sand at a good speed, I think the softer spring setting allowed the suspension to respond better. The higher ground clearance is also a plus if you ride where that is needed. The removal of the sway bar had absolutely NO negative effects the I could find. Went thru some pretty off camber trails with ease. Make your own call on making this mod but so far I am glad I did....

Have you thought about putting some aftermarket shocks on it?  I know they can get pricey.  Some of the new models have gas shocks on them.  I would love to hear some ride reports with them.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
I dont ride that hard or that fast to make better shocks worthwhile

kryptekman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 03:52:17 AM »
Most folks are looking for more ground clearance, so they adjust the shock springs up tight to stretch the shocks to full length. This can be a stiff ride on rough terrain.  By backing off shock springs to make a softer ride you lower the ground clearance. If you look up under the machine you will see another set of holes further to the outside where the shocks can be moved out to a more straight up and down position. This adds almost 2" to the overall height of the machine by increasing ground clearance. Now you can back off the springs to make a softer ride while still gaining most of the added ground clearance. You gain more clearance while making a softer ride over rough ground. At least that is the theory. Many have made this change and claim it works well. I will be hitting the trails later this week to see how it really works.  To move the rear shocks out you need to remove the sway bar. Many claim the sway bar is not needed on this machine.  If you are racing into a corner hard at speed this bar helps keep the rear flatter. These machines are not performance or made/designed for any kind of racing. Many claim the sway bar keeps the independent rear suspension from doing its job on extreme uneven ground. I took mine on the paved road and my very uneven back 40 and found no issues at this point. After this week I will have put it threw its paces.

Airshot, you have so much knowledge please make a youtube account for the kymcos and film yourself either doing the adjustments or show us noobs where to look and what to expect lol.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
just so that you know, if you are towing heavy loads at street speeds, you'll wanna keep that sway bar
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()