Author Topic: Outer Bearing Race Removal from Water Pump  (Read 1315 times)

Biablid-Dilthinky

• View Profile
Outer Bearing Race Removal from Water Pump
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:07:20 AM »
I recently posted a question regarding the removal of the seal for the water pump to replace it. Little did I know that the outer bearing had completely rotted away, leaving the outer race still press fitted to the inside of the cover. I have absolutely no idea how to remove it because there is nowhere to get any leverage on it. I've tried heating it up and that didn't work and I'm worried that the last option is to cut it to get it out, which is very likely to damage to case, seeing as it is aluminium and the race is steel. Any help is appreciated.

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Outer Bearing Race Removal from Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »
If your Vancouver dealer/mechanic is the same guy I'm thinking of, then consider bringing him just the water pump assembly so he can drive out the outer race for you. Should be much cheaper and less time consuming than bringing him the whole scooter and having him get to the engine. He's a very reasonable guy. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:55:46 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Try using a slide hammer or nuts and washers on a threaded bar.. You'll need a vice too

Biablid-Dilthinky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
When I took it in to him (RideAway Motors, if that's who you're thinking of) he was helpful in the sense that he told me what to do. Whenever I brought a piece into him he would sell me a part and would never actually show me how to put something in or remove something, he would actually sit there and watch me do it and if it didn't turn out the way he thought it would he said that's wierd and just sort of left it at that. If I wanted something done I would have to leave the part with him and wait for him to do it another time because he (at least he told me, every time I went in he was on the computer) he was too busy working on other scooters. I ended up getting it out myself. I got a dremmel tool and carved an indent in the side of the race and got a hammer and driver and just beat the indent until the race popped out. I've now fixed my water pump, the scooter was working fine but I have a new unknown problem, but that is for a different thread. Thanks for the suggestions.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()