Author Topic: What sold you on your scoot?  (Read 808 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
What sold you on your scoot?
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
My 2013 LIKE200i :

The Vespa-like step-through Italian design drew my attention.
The justgottascoot.com review encouraged me.
Then it was the > $3600 price, 2 yr warranty, EFI, twin disc brakes, twin shocks , big tail light.
I tried on the Yamaha and Honda 50's - loving their build quality - but at 6'3" no one would let me buy one! (family or salesman)

Biggest after-purchase issue:
The painful seat-pan ridge in the middle of the seat! Made for 40 min. max rides.
(I spent 3 days rebuilding an ebay LIKE 50cc seat - saving the stock seat - and have never looked back!)

You?

Stig
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:56:09 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: What sold you on your scoot?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »
My DT 300i: Having just come off of a Honda Silver Wing, which met all my criteria, I wanted something as close to that, as possible, but at a lower price, that I could afford. Having already owned a Kymco 250 Exciting, I was familiar with Kymco's quality and reliability. When I found this 2012 Dt 300 with 3,000 miles for $2 grand, I couldn't resist, and, as you said, I've never looked back..She meets all my needs.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
Price, comfort, storage lack of top speed (it's true. The lack of top speed removes temptation). I also like the relative simplicity, auto gearbox, low end punch, economy, cheap insurance/tax all year round usability.

Downsides: The missus hates the rear footpegs, the under seat catch is a pain, getting the rear wheel off is more awkward than it needs to be. And I really do wish it was a 400cc machine.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:01:04 PM »
Yager was great! Wife INSISTED on me getting a new bike! Yeah! Have always been able to make decisions, even wrong ones! A white DT300i was available, it was 299 cc so qualified as a 300, pulled stronger than the Yager and like Mac said, never looked back for the same reasons. Got an identical replacement after the original was stolen and wrecked. You will have to pry it outta my cold, dead fingers.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:31:57 AM »
The price plus the fact that it had good storage.  Good looking scooter as well.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:07:18 AM »
People 250 -

My Yamaha Vino 125 that I had for about 6 years got stolen. Being my only means of transportation, I was urgently looking for a new vehicle.

It seemed like a good time to upgrade to a 250 with bigger wheels, and I wanted to keep the flat area around my feet for hauling groceries and other larger things. It was the only one that really seemed to fit.

I had also seen and ridden one before. It struck me as being very powerful, extremely comfortable, easier to maneuver, and much nicer looking compared to what I had.

The city I was living in at the tiny had very rough roads, and it made an enormous difference.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:09:55 AM by hypophthalmus »

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:23:24 AM »
i read online moving when looking for a replacement for my 150 cc chinese scoot that the people 250s was the best scooter for tall people now it's getting a little worn don't know what i'm gonna replace it with i like the big wheels
2009 kymco people 250s

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
You can probably find a good low mile GT300I around, maybe even NOS. Might be a few left in the warehouse near ya.

Beyond that most of 'em seem to have gone more to a Maxi Style in this country.
Those seem to be a mixed bag for you stretched out sorts so you'd have to try 'em out.
Maybe the Yamaha?  it's getting some pretty good reviews.

i read online moving when looking for a replacement for my 150 cc chinese scoot that the people 250s was the best scooter for tall people now it's getting a little worn don't know what i'm gonna replace it with i like the big wheels
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 12:48:59 AM »
For me, the People 150 was a great size for starting out in scootering, and the ride on those 16" wheels was fabulous. Felt and handled so smooth and solid. Also the step-through design and the more "European" look to the P150 really caught my eye. Price was great (about $1800), as it was used with only about 700 miles on it and in beautiful shape. Predictably smooth and even throttle response and very good brakes as well. Just a fantastic scooter in all respects.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()