Author Topic: Odd looking gunk and some fluid leaking  (Read 10546 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Odd looking gunk and some fluid leaking
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Not sure what or why.

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Odd looking gunk and some fluid leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Any ideas if it's harmful or indicative of something needing looked into further?

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
This pic didn't turn out real clear.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
A couple of beads up at the top there ready to drip down. :-\

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
I would think that is brake fluid you need to check to see if the top is on tight or if the class window
wear you put the fluid in at is ok. or the brake line going in is tight.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:20:38 PM »
  I would say grease from the stearing head,But check the brake fluid. Looks like someone is doing a cdi cut maybe  :o
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
try to wash most of that stuff off. and also the noise comeing from your tires might be some of that stuff that is leaking got on your brakes and is makeing theam squeak.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »
The grease getting smeared where it shouldn't I can understand. But if you think the lower part is brake fluid, I'm gonna have to ask the stupid question. lol

If it's brake fluid how did it get there or where is it coming from? I tried looking farther up but I'm having trouble removing the front and back handlebar covers. I'll probably have to take apart something I don't want to get get them off. And Thanks!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:07:47 AM »
if you have a small hole in the cylinder that holds the brake fluid or a hole in the brake line.it well spray all over and when the scoot is moveing it well get over everything.how full is your brake fluid right now
is it low or stell full if its low that might be whats wrong. can you stick a camra up there take a pic then you might see something in the pic that you cant see from the outside.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:20 AM »
My guess would be steering bearing grease, if it was brake fluid I think it would be easy to see it on the hose or master cylinder. Grease working it's way out of the bearings.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 12:40:54 AM »
Thanks for that idea, blue. I took a couple pics...will check in a bit if they turned out. I shone my flashlight up in there and down from the top. The top of the master cylinder box looks clean, shiny and new even. I traced the brake line with my fingers all the way up to the box and there's not any fresh fluid anywhere. No cracks or splits that I can feel, none that I can see from the front view. If the line has some damage it is likely right under all that gooey stuff somewhere. I'll check those spots while I'm wiping it all off. The brake fluid does look lower than before in the window, but I didn't have it on the center stand with front jacked up before so I dunno if it's low.

If I could figure out what to remove I would just take that handlebar cover off to get a good look. I got six screws in my pocket but can't figure out what's left holding it on. Possibly the bolts with the turn signals, didn't look like it in the manual, but who knows?

If it's grease sid, is that a bad thing? Something else I need to do or work on? I'm getting a little tired now, but just trying to figure out what all I may be in for here.

And no, art, cdi is sadly moving farther down the list.  :(

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:52:59 AM »
If there was a fractur in the brake line you most likely wouldn't see it, if it was big enough to see and feel you would have brake fluid everywhere but in your cylinder, under the pressure of normal use, the brake fluid will be forced out of the tiniest fracture. If it is the steering bearing grease, cleaning it off would be easy enough. The steering stem would need to be greased sooner or later. To do this the cost would be in the labour, unless you do it yourself, the grease would cost bugger all. The manual should show what you have to do to get the covers off. But then, i did a post about that with the ZX because the manual was vague at best.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 01:23:17 AM »
you should be able to tell the dif. beteewn brake fluid and grease. grease would be thicker.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:33 AM »
Maybe it's the pictures - but would brake fluid be that dark? 

This is a pretty new scooter.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 01:28:02 AM »
I may be wrong, but that grease looks rusty. Water has got in and is working the grease out. Nothing a clean and regrease wouldn't fix. Looks like the next maintenance weekend is at Rianna's.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()