Author Topic: MXU 150 Wet Air Filter  (Read 1007 times)

Fisherman

• View Profile
MXU 150 Wet Air Filter
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »
Hi everyone I've got a new MXU 150 I've done about 100 miles on it but I'm having a problem with my air filter, the bike wouldn't run right so I checked the air filter and it was really wet after investigating where the water was coming from I've found its coming from the pipe that's connected to the carburretor air intake manifold has anyone else had this problem? I found droplets of water at the bottom of the air filter box and also there was water inside the carburretor air intake pipe.

I asked the dealer and he said it's condensation coming from the engine

The problem was made worse because the sponge Air filter is wqs sucking up the water from the bottom of the box by capillary action and soaking the air filter.

Has anybody got any ideas?

airshot

• View Profile
Re: MXU 150 Wet Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:13:54 PM »
Way to much water for being condensation!!  Water is getting in some place, do some carefull looking to find where water is comming in. Are you riding thru water causing it to spay up inside?

Fisherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
I dried water from box and carb intake took it for a run about 2 miles checked it on my return  and there was more Water in box and carb intake again it was a dry day on dry roads I disconnected breather pipe and started  engine I could feel it pumping air  inside I could see moisture inside

Fisherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 08:49:07 AM »
I do use the bike  on the beach on wet sand and there maybe spray  but no more than on a wet road  I  always thoroughly wash  quad when I return from beach to remove salt  and I take off seat  and cover filter box with a plastic bag  while I wwash it  but this is the most amount of water the quad is subject to  ime a bit puzzled 

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:59:38 PM »
Is it a liquid cooled engine?  Possibly coolant getting in?
If air cooled engine...there must be someway the water is getting in!!!

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 04:22:07 PM »
I guess you are using the bike in very cold and moist weather conditions. If so, I think the dealer could be correct - the water could be coming from condensation.

I do not have any experience with gas / ethanol mixtures - do you use this mixed fuel in your bike ? If so, maybe this could cause this kind of problem in very cold weather conditions ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()