Author Topic: DJ50S  (Read 401 times)

BikerMum

• I really shouldn't be here...
    • View Profile
DJ50S
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
Hi I can't find a section for the DJ50s so I've posted in here if that's OK.
My 17 y/o rides a DJ50s and 2 days ago she rode home without headlights or dashboard lights.
After a little mother/daughter chat about the sensibility of riding without lights (ahem)  we're still at a loss to understand what's going on.

Apparently the DJ50 only has 1 fuse...? Another suggestion is that it could be "the ignition barrel" (?) or "water damage" it lives outside but if bikes are going to get water damage then everyone living in the UK is a bit stuffed.

Any thoughts? I've had a Chinese bike myself some years ago and the electrics were pants. I'm hoping this is an easy fix - I've got a very practical OH but he doesn't know much about bikes and it's a bit of a trek to get it back to the dealer.

BM

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: DJ50S
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »
Welcome!
So, you've checked that one fuse, or?
No other fuse locations shown in the owner's manual? None found by the battery?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »
Mum, I cannot resist! You and daughter will have to fix this just tonshow some whiny men they need to grow....ah....up! We will work at your pace and assist on here as much as possible. That Stig guy, he's the best at keeping this nut-farm forum on its trolley tracks! Good tech, too! Gotta ask about chinese electrics expression being "pants." Is that like a "pant load" over here? Welcome! Let's get started! Or lit! Lighted up!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »
Mum, I cannot resist! You and daughter will have to fix this just tonshow some whiny men they need to grow....ah....up! We will work at your pace and assist on here as much as possible. That Stig guy, he's the best at keeping this nut-farm forum on its trolley tracks! Good tech, too! Gotta ask about chinese electrics expression being "pants." Is that like a "pant load" over here? Welcome! Let's get started! Or lit! Lighted up!
Karl,
I'm looking at Kymco 50 wiring diagrams - and often shows 2 fuses (7 & 15).
 Also, looks like often the current for dash and headlights pass through the starter switch. Would a little squirt of WD-40 be amiss in the switch? (it's been know to rain some in the U.K.)

Stig
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:01:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:25 PM »
Yep on the WD-40 andnrain in the UK! I recall two fuses in my Agility 50. Couldn't hoit!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

BikerMum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:08:04 AM »
I'll pick up some WD40 today. It's been unusually wet even for Wales... do you mean the actual ignition switch or the ignition barrel? Just so I'm clear...
If something is "pants" in British it means something that's a bit rubbish, not very good. (Remember British pants are panties, not trousers. Underwear if you will)
Thanks for all your help people 😘

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
Try poking the WD40 spray tube to the back of the starter button. ....then with key off push it several times. Also squirt some in key slot....work it back and forth without starting.
Wet has gotten to a connection, bulb seat, switch, etc.
The 2 Battery post connections nice and clean and snug?
Do tail and brake lights work?
Glass tube or square plastic fuse?
Fuses cheap at any autoparts shop. Take with, if on doubt.
Age of this scooter?
(thought knickers were female undies in UK? - according to female friend from Hull - no idea why she shared this)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BikerMum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
Thanks Stig, I'll have a go at that when I get home tonight.
All the lights work except the headlight and the dashboard apparently. And it starts up just fine. Not checked all the bits and pieces, but it's just coming up to 2 years old. Hopefully a fix tonight will save us a trip to to the dealer tomorrow. Weirdly her little Kymco and my beautiful Royal Enfield came from the same dealer and I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Knickers are indeed panties, but so are pants...
I don't know why, but you can describe a thing or situation as pants but not knickers - couldn't say "the electrics are knickers". God I love the English/British/American/Australian/Chinglish/+ language

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
This (pants) is why British humour is lost on us "Yanks!" Except for Monte Python and that other guy....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
Thanks Stig, I'll have a go at that when I get home tonight.
All the lights work except the headlight and the dashboard apparently. And it starts up just fine. Not checked all the bits and pieces, but it's just coming up to 2 years old. Hopefully a fix tonight will save us a trip to to the dealer tomorrow. Weirdly her little Kymco and my beautiful Royal Enfield came from the same dealer and I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Knickers are indeed panties, but so are pants...
I don't know why, but you can describe a thing or situation as pants but not knickers - couldn't say "the electrics are knickers". God I love the English/British/American/Australian/Chinglish/+ language

Hi - I'm just over the border from North Wales. Just the headlight and dash light is a weird combo to go out. Is the tail light working?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

BikerMum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
Update: Daughter's boyfriend's dad (also a biker) took out the fuse, looked at it, put it back in and voila... He reckons it was just a bit of dirt/water in the contact.
Thanks for all the suggestions and support, next time we'll have a better idea of where to start  ;D

Where you to Viper254? I'm from Shropshire originally and lived in Cheshire for about 10 years...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
Update: Daughter's boyfriend's dad (also a biker) took out the fuse, looked at it, put it back in and voila... He reckons it was just a bit of dirt/water in the contact.
Thanks for all the suggestions and support, next time we'll have a better idea of where to start  ;D

Where you to Viper254? I'm from Shropshire originally and lived in Cheshire for about 10 years...
Thank you for the update!!
We all learned something here..
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »

Just on the Staffs border! 20 mins from Whitchurch.

Good work on sorting it. Glad it was an easy one!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()