Author Topic: Well, finally did it....  (Read 526 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Well, finally did it....
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:27:55 AM »
I always park my Kymco like this....on the center stand.

But the other day, I parked like this -- on the side stand.

Later, I climbed on, started the engine, put on the heated glove liners and the gauntlets

and started riding up this street...

When I was in front of the UnderDog Café , about where that white Soul is, a street buddy hollered that my "kick-stand" was still down.
4 years of riding on 4 different scooters - maybe 25,000 total miles - I finally did what I never thought I'd do.
Rode off with the side stand down!
BTW - the LIKE200i owner's manual says that the scooter cannot start with the side-stand down. This is an error - there is NO side-stand cut off on this scooter.
 It starts just fine with the side stand down - as any LIKE owner will tell you.

This flustered me so much that I then left the R turn blinker on half way through town! (a loud blinker - but not with ear plugs and helmet)
It had been 5 weeks or so since my last ride, due to the weather - still no excuse.

Living and still learning here....
Stig
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:31:56 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

fishcutter44

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
Re: Well, finally did it....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:46 AM »
Good thing you were only embarrassed and not worse, in a left turn the side stand can cause you to high-side, not good!
I removed the side stand from my Like 200, because the previous owner had it fall over in a gravel driveway on the side stand.
Just think they are not really stable, especially if windy out.
Still too cold to ride here in RI (I'm a wimp) so going out to the garage to look at the scooter  ;D
2016 Kymco Like 200i
2005 Bajaj Chetak
2017 Honda Metro
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
1965 Fuji Rabbit Touring

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
Consider yourself blessed...a left turn with side stand down can kill you dead. It happened to a rider on a 70's Goldwing. I vote for a mandatory kill switch on all motor bike side stands. I left mine down once but luckily didn't get thrown off when I leaned left. I did have to change my undies but never left it down again.
2009 GV 250

DIRKHUNT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
Consider yourself blessed...a left turn with side stand down can kill you dead. It happened to a rider on a 70's Goldwing. I vote for a mandatory kill switch on all motor bike side stands. I left mine down once but luckily didn't get thrown off when I leaned left. I did have to change my undies but never left it down again.
The 300i people does have the kill switch in the side stand.
I use the side stand often and for soft surfaces like gravel or asphalt in the Florida sunshine [emoji4]
  I find it better for uneven surfaces as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()