Author Topic: Good helmets for long distances  (Read 1282 times)

8eeman77

• Work hard, ride safe
  • I'm a scooter loving Apiarist
    • View Profile
Good helmets for long distances
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi I am the owner of a Downtown 300i ABS & love riding it, both short & long distances. The problem I have is that my helmet gives me headaches over long distances. I don't think it's too small, just not appropriate for long rides. Can anybody recommend a good helmet or two for riding long distances please? Thanks
The Kymco DT 300i ABS is the best scooter you can get. I love it's carefree automatic ride. I would like to see kymco make a 600cc version but no heavier then the 300. I would buy it for sure

donjack

• View Profile
Re: Good helmets for long distances
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
hello there beeman,
I don't know how you feel about ordering from the good ole US of A, but I got a fantastic helmet from there, it is D.O.T. approved but no EU/ EC mark, I don't know how strict your police force are regarding helmet markings, but I decided to take the chance and I'm so glad I did!! I wrote a review here:-

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Fly-Racing-Tourist-Helmet-review_2776717

I hope this helps!

cheers,
Don
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Hi I am the owner of a Downtown 300i ABS & love riding it, both short & long distances. The problem I have is that my helmet gives me headaches over long distances. I don't think it's too small, just not appropriate for long rides. Can anybody recommend a good helmet or two for riding long distances please? Thanks

Let me guess the headache is at the top of the forehead.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Tigertourer 67

• 2011 Downtown 300i ABS, 2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
Hi Beeman, hard to recommend helmets as everybody has a different shape head but I have 2 favourites - the Shoei XR series (I have the XR1000 that is now around 6 years old and has fitted beautifully from Day 1), and recently I have had great success with the Shark Evoline 3.

The Shoei is a race rep helmet and is very light, very stable (I have worn it at over 200kmh and it has been excellent even at that speed) and comfortable. High cut chin bar though, so needs a neck warmer in cool weather. Note that the XR series has now (I believe) been replaced by the X12 series but I will buy another when looking for a full face helmet.

The Shark is very versatile, and converts from full face to open face with the press of one button (great for changable weather). This is the reason I bought it. This functionality means it's quite a bit heavier than the Shoei but I don't find it a problem. Be aware though that this orginally gave me headaches as well but I found there is a removable pad in the front of the helmet under the top air intake that makes a HUGE difference once removed. I have had it about 6 months now and it is now very comfortable. Add in the internal retractable tinted visor and it really is a great piece of kit.

Good luck, hope my ramblings help.
Just 'cause you're breathing doesn't mean your living!

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:57:24 AM »
If your helmet is giving you headaches then its the wrong helmet for your head shape.

Generally a particular brand would have their own formula to determine what a generic head shape would be, so you'll need to get another brand of helmet.

Go to the shop, fit different ones on, wear each for 5mins and get the one that is most comfortable with no identifiable pressure points.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()