Author Topic: Front fork maintence-clear-oil change  (Read 14492 times)

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Front fork maintence-clear-oil change
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
I would like to check out the front fork, and do some cleaning and oil change. No leaking, no demage, so nothing serious work on it, as I expect...

Can anybody help about disassembling, measure the oil level, or any tip and tricks?

So anyting and everything please...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: Front fork maintence-clear-oil change
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
Try to get hold of the service manual, it should help you in the pull down as well as the spec/quantity of oil etc.

Having read in a magazine recently about suspension, seems factory fill fork oil has little in friction eliminators, so an aftermarket fork oil would help in making the fork work as it should.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
In the chapter 14, I found this
spcified oil: SS#8
capacity: 185cc

But there isn't a single word about disassembling... :( (I have too different manual)

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:26:35 AM »
According to my DownTown 200 service manual, the section you should look for is Section 14 (Front Shock Absorber), Pahe 184 onwards.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:40 AM »

This will help. They are all the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »
I relalize I don't know what does the SS#8 fork oil means??
What type of oil is this?

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:31 AM »
I relalize I don't know what does the SS#8 fork oil means??
What type of oil is this?

@Adept
Check this out (Google translate is your friend if you can't understand Chinese)
http://forum.jorsindo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2355702&highlight=nikita%2B%E5%89%8D%E5%8F%89

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:31:10 AM »
Get a small syringe, best found at a farm supply store or medical store. I believe that ss#8 means 8w weight oil. I've used 5w fork oil in many of my bikes and it feels a LOT better, you'll be shocked how much better it is. I used Belray fork oil. If you can reach the 14mm pinch bolts on the top of your socks you shouldn't have to take much apart. Remove the wheel and remove the bolts on top of the the shock. Once you have the shock off unscrew the large cap on top, careful there is a large spring and it is under pressure. You can pour the old oil out and let it drain for a while. Move the shock up and down to get all oil out. Replace with recommended quantity. Install in reverse order.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
@Adept
Check this out (Google translate is your friend if you can't understand Chinese)
http://forum.jorsindo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2355702&highlight=nikita%2B%E5%89%8D%E5%8F%89

Of course, I do understand, speak and write perfectly in Chinese :D :D :D

I translated it to Hungarian, and English, I try to figured it out the point...

So the less oil (150cc) is rigid, and much oil (200cc) is comfordable?

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
Get a small syringe, best found at a farm supply store or medical store. I believe that ss#8 means 8w weight oil. I've used 5w fork oil in many of my bikes and it feels a LOT better, you'll be shocked how much better it is. I used Belray fork oil. If you can reach the 14mm pinch bolts on the top of your socks you shouldn't have to take much apart. Remove the wheel and remove the bolts on top of the the shock. Once you have the shock off unscrew the large cap on top, careful there is a large spring and it is under pressure. You can pour the old oil out and let it drain for a while. Move the shock up and down to get all oil out. Replace with recommended quantity. Install in reverse order.

THANKS!!!
I think weekend will be my fork fixing time :D

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
Of course, I do understand, speak and write perfectly in Chinese :D :D :D

I translated it to Hungarian, and English, I try to figured it out the point...

So the less oil (150cc) is rigid, and much oil (200cc) is comfordable?

You don't want to use too much oil, more than spec and you will bottom out early because there is no room for the oil to move. Use the recommended amount, but you can tune the feeling with the weight of oil you buy, thin is softer damping thick is harder. The "stiffness" is tuned with different springs, damping and rebound are controlled by oil.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
I've just red in a BMW forum:
5-10w is good for bikes, 20-30w makes too hard the suspension, affect the driving experience dangeriously...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
SS#8 is "Saybolt Seconds" and it should take 8 seconds for a set quantity to drain through a specified orifice (hole diameter). Check with API to find quantity and hole size.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
https://www.louis.eu/rund-ums-motorrad/bike-datenbank/kymco-downtown-300i-abs/v2/2137

In this chart they say 20w oil for the DT's fork...
Is it a big difference 5w and 20w?

What do you think?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
I think that's wrong, there manual says ss#8, which from what I've found is about 8.5w. The closest you'll be able to find is 10w.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()