Author Topic: 2001 People 50 (two stroke) - Need parts  (Read 1120 times)

calisurf

• View Profile
2001 People 50 (two stroke) - Need parts
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
Hi everyone - New to the board.  Thank you in advance for your help and if I'm posting in the wrong place, etc please feel free to correct me.

I recently bought a 2001 People 50 two stroke, only 500 miles on it, and I need to derestrict it.  From my understanding the 2001 and some of the 2002's require either an aftermarket CDI or one from the Cobra.  I recently ordered an unrestricted CDI so hopefully that takes care of that part of it.  I've read that I also need a new variator (or have the one I have machined out), but I've been having trouble finding this part, any suggestions?  Also, is there other mods I need to do in order to derestrict this properly.

Thank you for your help!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 People 50 (two stroke) - Need parts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
Welcome aboard.

On some of the 2 stroke bikes they welded a washer inside the manifold end of the exhaust pipe. That can be drilled/punched out.

also inside the air box right at the outlet to the carb is a plastic reducer that restricts the air flow to the carb. That just pulls out. With the muffler clear, and the air box de-restricted you can increase the main jet 1-2 sizes up.

Your variator is the same as all the other Kymco 50cc bikes so use whatever.It's actually the drive boss that is different but a new variator, and rollers for around 50 bucks is a much better way to go. There is also a spring that controls the rear pulley set. That should be upgraded to a Malossi red spring. It will help w/ hills, and take off.
 Try calling SPI to see if he has one.  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11581.0
Racing planet is another source.

You can set up a dealer account with either shop to get dealer pricing. It's generally 20-40% off retail.
I PREFER SPI cause the guy is a retired Team Yamaha bike racer. not just another suit but RP usually has a larger inventory.

Stay away from Ebay variators. They will fall apart in 2 strokes. A name brand will last for years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:42:15 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

calisurf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the response. I'll hit up SPI

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
No problem... Please keep us informed how you make out. Most of us tend to hang out here, and see what we can do to help.

Pull up a seat, and you'll be doing 55MPH in no time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

herrspoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:20 AM »
Your variator is the same as all the other Kymco 50cc bikes so use whatever.It's actually the drive boss that is different but a new variator, and rollers for around 50 bucks is a much better way to go. There is also a spring that controls the rear pulley set. That should be upgraded to a Malossi red spring. It will help w/ hills, and take off.

Looking at digging into my transmission...I need hill climbing ability more than overall top speed. For my weight, around 200, I've been reading a Malossi red spring and Dr. Pulley 7-8g sliders, will this help on the hills or should I adjust some for that? Also, should I look at replacing the variator too or is the stock one sufficient for more uphill driveability and less focus on top speed? Thanks!
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  Derestricted stock exhaust
  Derestricted stock airbox
  100 MJ
  Biondi windshield (with custom mounts)

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with." Marty Feldman

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()