Author Topic: Power loss-Stalling  (Read 1257 times)

Elz

• View Profile
Power loss-Stalling
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
Hello, I am new to this forum and to Kymco scooters.

i recently acquired a 2008 people 50 (2 stroke) it had 942 miles on it when i got it and after putting around 100 miles on it i ran into an issue. i was sitting at a light and went to take off the scoot revved up at first but then moved about 3 feet and died. i checked the oil which was a bit low and topped it off. it starts on the first kick nearly every time and will idle just fine, it will even allow you to throttle it on the center stand sometimes it will fully rev other times it will wind up and die out. i'm at a bit of a loss as this is my first 2 stroke i've ever really worked on. i had one other chinese scooter in the past but it recently keeled over after 13k miles.any help or insight would be immensely appreciated as i need this baby back on the road ASAP.

Added info: i pulled the plug and it was pretty nasty so i imagine that is a contributing factor
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:31:53 AM by Elz »

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
Re: Power loss-Stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:45:44 AM »
Sounds like the carb

Elz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Will be taking the carb apart and cleaning her up in the morning. I just watched a few videos on how to do so, and it seems pretty straightforward. Will post an update with the outcome. Thanks again for your advice. I hope to be speaking with more of you guys in the future as i move to de-restrict my new scoot. have a great day!

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:14 AM »
Keep in mind there could be other things. Something in the fuel system or even the auto choke might not be a bad direction to look while diagnosing. In the carb it could be several things too. A jet, one of the needles, or maybe a vacuum problem. Sorry if I cast too large a net.

Elz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:52 AM »
not a problem at all. Kind of was at an "okay where do i start" juncture wanted to get a bit of insight before i just started taking things apart. the carb seems to be the most logical first step.

Elz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
got the carb all cleaned out, and it was a lil gummy. in dis-assembly i noted that the choke wouldn't turn. so i loosened the screws and it turned freely! tightened it back down, and it still turns freely! My baby blue scoot is back on the road! thanks again for your help! Do you have any pointers on quick and efficent ways to make her faster?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()