Author Topic: Finally Changed my Contra and rollers.  (Read 677 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Finally Changed my Contra and rollers.
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
Finally installed my 8gm Dr Pulley Sliders and Purple Contra spring today, I wont talk about performance too much as its too early to get a feel for  the changes to the bike.

The 10mm Clutch bell nut came off easy with a universal clutch holding tool and hammer shock to a 14mm spanner. All 3 major bolts involved in this mod seem to respond well to shocking. The bell clutch went back on easily with a torque wrench and universal tool.

The 39 mm clutch nut was a challenge but came off with a shock to a monkey wrench just holding it sideways on the grass lawn. I was able to hold the clutch with weight on left palm to prevent a big boing!!! while unscrewing the nut alternating wrench and right hand. I put the nut back on the same way with hammer shock and monkey wrench giving some extra hits to drive the nut past the witness marks as best I could.

The variator holding tool wasn't very good, I had to grind out the slot more with a dremel tool to enable the teeth to mesh firmly with the drive face teeth and had to use washer spacers on the stud so the tool teeth would line up with the face teeth. It slipped at times but allowed me to finally loosen the 12mm nut and pushing the tool forward firmly with my hand allowed the torque wrench to click at 40 ft lbs plus a bit more.

Definitely get that belt bottomed on the clutch before torqing the variator nut and spin the loose belt a bit to assure face is bottomed on spacer. I tightened the clutch bell nut before the variator nut but it may make no difference, just get the tension off the belt so its not wedged in the pulleys when tightening the nuts.

But also, note the orientation of your belt (some have arrows) so you put the belt on the way it came off. I hear the belt may fail prematurely if it is put on opposite the way it came off as it seats and wears to the pulley over time. My dealer said the arrows face forward when on the top strand.

Right now the bike holds top speed better (top speed 41MPH on flats from 39-40); but from a stop, seems to spins quite freely  taking a bit taking a bit to accelerate (wondering if I got grease on pulleys or clutch pads now) but I'll address that in another thread a bit later.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:39:04 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

An Error Has Occurred!