Author Topic: Variator and clutch holding tools ?  (Read 1969 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Variator and clutch holding tools ?
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »
Just to keep this forum active.

Kymco has a nice variator holding tool http://www.racingplanetusa.com/variator-holder-blocking-tool-kymco-horizontal-p-256-1.html#.U8UWfbQ0WSo. Racing planet is OK but still haven't shipped parts I ordered 14 days ago and this one they say wont be shipped for 7 days.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these delivered say 5 days from now. Also, can someone suggest something similar for clutch removal. I'm willing to spend $50 on a good pair of tools and may see if the welder that did my exhaust may be  able to do a quick slider-spring job.

Universal tool E017 looks good but doesnt work on the the variator if the plastic fan cover covers the holes the tool is made to go in ? This plastic cover may be new to 2013 models. Update: Looks like a special holder is now used for later models. Not too sure what the ratchet is for thats an integral part of the pulley system now.

My DR Pulley sliders, 82% spring, and just should arrive this week. I could go to HF and get a $50 electrical impact wrench but not sure if it will work on a new loctite frozen nuts. Then how would I put the nuts back on to torque specs or are torque specs important when reinstalling as long as I go past witness marks ? Short bursts of the impact wrench shouldn't be too harmful when torquing a nut; some people just spin away at the gun twisting metal.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:01:51 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Variator and clutch holding tools ?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
Short bursts are exactly what you want to do. Parts for scooters . com have the tools
NEVER rely on witness marks when tightening anything. Burrs, and alignment issues will cause a failure of one part or the other. Listen to the smartest guy on the planet when he says, "Set it, and forget it" (he can't be that smart... Spray paint hair, Really?)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Sounds good Zombie, thanks. Going through the maintenance manual now.

Ill pull the trigger on this right now: Its the exact one at parts for scooters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201117441378?lpid=82

Im trying to get one of these they are diff fron 2t and 4t but I can only find them overseas http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kymco-Like-50cc-2-Stroke-Variator-Locking-Tool-/400683226834 I cant find one that will ship to the USA. I would like to put it under my seat.

I noticed in the service manual the nut diameters are wrong. I have a 14mm nut not a 12 mm nut on the holding the clutch bell in, thus the torques specs must be wrong. I'll assume 40 ft-lbs for both the variator and bell housing nuts.

Should I use loctite for reinstallation ?

Should I use graphite to lube the Dr Pulley Sliders ?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:03:09 PM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
I've noticed the nuts are in two sizes even on the same bike from time to time. It must be a part source thing...
The torque value is determined by thread diameter, and pitch. NOT outer face size so the torque stays the same no matter what the face size is.

40 FT lbs sounds incredibly high. Double check that on these charts... https://www.swtc.edu/ag_power/diesel_engines/lecture/metric%20torque%20values.pdf
I would have guessed 25-30Ft lbs.
Yes... Use BLUE Lok-Tite on damn near every nut/bolt on the bike. Just a DROP per application. I spill a bit out on a piece of plastic, and tooth pick it or wire feed it onto the threads.

Did you try Racing Planet for the tool? Scootertronics? Maybe Josh at The Scooter Garage has or knows where to get one.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
OK Zombie, I'll check the sources for the tool. Scootertronics may have it http://www.scootertronics.com/blockingtool.html I messaged them about compatibility with the S8 50CC 2T.

The diameters they are referring too are the thread sizes so they are accurate I was referring to the socket size so that was my bad.

As for torque specs, they say

Drive face 6.0 kg-m

Clutch Drive Plate 4.0 kg-m

Clutch outer nut 4.5 kg-m

And according to these conversions http://www.convertunits.com/from/kg+m/to/lb+ft = 28 to 43 ft-lbs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:28:21 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:15 AM »
That makes sense. I always assumed they were around 30 Ft Lbs., and that's what my built in right arm torque wrench was shooting for.

Glad we found the flaw in your settings. Thread size. Not face size.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
What I am seeing is the variator nuts have an integral flat malleable washer built into them that flattens out when proper torque is applied and holds them in place. You shouldn't really reuse them; but if one does, loctite is highly recommended.

The consensus may be it can be reused a few times if it isnt chewed up threadwise or rounded. But the horror stories Im reading about variators flying off may be because of faulty reinstallation.

Where can I now get a few washers, off to googling again. I'd like to have a few spares.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:31:26 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
Those are dealer stock items. Whatever Kymco parts source you use. In a bind I have used standard nuts, and Locking split washers from the local hardware

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
Josh at The ScooterGarage does have the variator holding tool for the 2T's and just I sent him a payment. Next step is a ride to HF for a large adjustable wrench.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Say hello to Josh for us. He's one of the good guys, and a great asset to us all.

For the money you spend on that Mondo size adjustable you can get the proper socket, and a breaker bar or the Impact driver. Just my 2 cents...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:14 AM »
I'm looking all over for a 39mm 6 point 1/2" drive socket and just cant find anyone with them in stock. Will tell Josh hello when I email back a thanks after receiving the tool.

I do have couple of large monkey wrenches and am wondering if they will work on the large clutch nut.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:29:52 AM by Chris0381 »
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
The clutch holding tool worked but the nut needed a shock with a hammer and 14mm spanner. The nut isnt very good quality and I may just replace it. Didnt do the job yet as I still need the variator tool and adjustable.
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »
Spanners are not my favorite tool. They almost always slip but like all of us ... Lesson learned.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()