Author Topic: Variator  (Read 3651 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
See all that black dust throughout all of the CVT parts when you remove a belt cover?
Grease anywhere but the designated lubricant areas will gather that dust and make a pudding of it.
Dry lube can be thrown around and end up in unwanted places...like the belt.
I don't pretend to be an expert - but I do listen closely when scooter riders (and racers) in the far east speak....
I've never opened a (modern) scooter and found any trace of lubricant in a factory set-up roller weight carrier.
Stig

Thanks, fortunately I’ve opened the variator at least three times and I have a fairly good idea how much belt dust to expect after 1000 to 2000km - it shouldn't be that much.
Like I mentioned before - my intention is to remove the old grease and dirt at the inside of the variator during every 2000km service.

Since my previous post I did Google search and it looks like some people still prefer lubricating rollers with grease. So for the time being I’m not too worried. It looks like the “secret” is just not to use too much grease, and to use the “correct” grease. Only time will tell whether I will keep on using grease in future.

P.S. I am not worried about a mixture of dust and dirt at the inside of the CVT cover - that’s easy to remove.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:08:45 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2020, 11:07:14 PM »
oh preferably looking for a mod for a small speed increase really.

I installed Dr. Pulley sliders when I replaced the original rollers in my Like 200i. I went with 13gr sliders to replace the 14gr rollers and not only got better acceleration from the lighter weight but also gained about 2mph increase in speed due to the fact that sliders ride higher in the variator at full speed.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()