Author Topic: Variator  (Read 3657 times)

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 11:15:15 PM »
What do you mean by slides? I am not aware of stock Kymco slider weights.

Frictional differences and even minor weight differences in the scale of single grains will negatively effect the overall variator performance. All slides or rollers must be the same brand and model, preferably the same manufacture batch, for optimal performance with the given component quality.
Become the best you can with what you have.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »
I have all stock kymco rollers and by slides i mean the small plastic pieces that are put onto cover of the variator, 2 are stock kymco ones and as i last assembled it i lost one of them, this is when i had to settle for a naruku one which i had spare. Do you think this could be making a difference to speed/performance?

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 03:35:38 AM »
Grease could promote flats on rollers if they slide instead of rolling. For sliders it could extend their life span if it decreases wear. The smoothest transmission I have felt was a variator with custom Teflon sliders.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding about rollers. To my mind the only reason why rollers are being called “rollers”, is because they are round. In fact - I am quite convinced rollers behave just like sliders under riding conditions.
Once the engine starts and the rollers get flung outwards, the rollers actually get “pinched” between the two separate surfaces at the inside of the variator - and the friction against the TWO sides of the variator makes it almost impossible for the rollers to roll forward.
In other words - if the rollers was just in contact with one surface at the inside of the variator, it would roll outwards under acceleration. In reality the second contact surface cancels the roller’s ability to roll forward - specially under acceleration the rollers will tend to slide forward instead of rolling forward.

In short - I think the usual flat spots on older rollers is proof of what actually happens to rollers under riding conditions. It usually slides forward, specially under stress - instead of rolling forward.

I think the only reasons why grease will cause more wear on rollers are:

1. When a thick (more sticky) get used. (This type of grease might restrict the rollers to roll under all conditions).
2. When a thinner grease - like CV joint grease becomes like a grinding paste due to dust.

My intention is to stick to the grease for the time being, and see what happens within the next 1000 km.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 01:24:39 PM »
I have all stock kymco rollers and by slides i mean the small plastic pieces that are put onto cover of the variator, 2 are stock kymco ones and as i last assembled it i lost one of them, this is when i had to settle for a naruku one which i had spare. Do you think this could be making a difference to speed/performance?

Ah! I see. The only issue with the difference is minuscule weight balance. With the standard imbalances in a variator that should have no measurable effect. When we refer to sliders we usually mean the slider weights as apposed to roller weights.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:42 PM »
ahh ok do you think its worth investing in dr pulley sliders as they are expensive and i want them to make a significant difference.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
The dr. pulleys are designed in a shape that allows max expansion and closing of the pulley sheaves. They also smooth the dead spot that some variators have in the mid-range power. Having the optimal weight for the characteristics you want may have more of an effect than dropping in sliders. I would only buy sliders once you have ridden with a weight you like and want to keep.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »

I think there is a huge misunderstanding about rollers. To my mind the only reason why rollers are being called “rollers”, is because they are round. In fact - I am quite convinced rollers behave just like sliders under riding conditions.
Once the engine starts and the rollers get flung outwards, the rollers actually get “pinched” between the two separate surfaces at the inside of the variator - and the friction against the TWO sides of the variator makes it almost impossible for the rollers to roll forward.
In other words - if the rollers was just in contact with one surface at the inside of the variator, it would roll outwards under acceleration. In reality the second contact surface cancels the roller’s ability to roll forward - specially under acceleration the rollers will tend to slide forward instead of rolling forward.

In short - I think the usual flat spots on older rollers is proof of what actually happens to rollers under riding conditions. It usually slides forward, specially under stress - instead of rolling forward.

I think the only reasons why grease will cause more wear on rollers are:

1. When a thick (more sticky) get used. (This type of grease might restrict the rollers to roll under all conditions).
2. When a thinner grease - like CV joint grease becomes like a grinding paste due to dust.

My intention is to stick to the grease for the time being, and see what happens within the next 1000 km.

See all that black dust throughout all of the CVT parts when you remove a belt cover?
Grease anywhere but the designated lubricant areas will gather that dust and make a pudding of it.
Dry lube can be thrown around and end up in unwanted places...like the belt.
I don't pretend to be an expert - but I do listen closely when scooter riders (and racers) in the far east speak....
I've never opened a (modern) scooter and found any trace of lubricant in a factory set-up roller weight carrier.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
The dr. pulleys are designed in a shape that allows max expansion and closing of the pulley sheaves. They also smooth the dead spot that some variators have in the mid-range power. Having the optimal weight for the characteristics you want may have more of an effect than dropping in sliders. I would only buy sliders once you have ridden with a weight you like and want to keep.
I am happy with the weight of my rollers right now, if i buy the sliders will i see a speed increase?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
Probably an acceleration increase and if your belt is worn the sliders will push it all the way out for fastest gearing. The primary difference is lifespan of the weights and transition smoothness.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »
oh preferably looking for a mod for a small speed increase really.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2020, 12:20:03 AM »
Have you done any engine mods such as air filter or exhaust? Not that everyone needs to, just curious.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2020, 12:47:29 AM »
This hasn't really been possible as i have a newer fuel injected bike, my dealer did electronically de restrict it and this is the only mod i have done.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2020, 02:26:06 AM »
Definitely don't start chop modding if it is still under warranty. Because it won't be anymore.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Looking to keep the bike a long time, it's reliable and would honestly want to add some modifications, any reccomendations?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
May be obvious but quality regular maintenance and prevention is the most crucial for a long life. Oem systems have done a good job of finding the intersection of the roads between reliability and power. If you pull toward the route of power, reliability goes down, and often for quite marginal gains.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()