Author Topic: Variator  (Read 3657 times)

perererery

• View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
i might replace the rollers instead do you have any recommendations for what to get? looking for speed preferably.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
Many advise adding NO lubricants, dry or otherwise,  to the weights or in the roller weights carrier. Clean all parts and assemble.
Dr Pulley says the same when using their sliders. No lube.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
Ok ill clean my variator out when i next get chance. If that doesnt work should i replace any parts?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
I would recommend Dr. Pulley sliders. They aren't the cheapest but most will agree they are among the best.
Become the best you can with what you have.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
I would recommend Dr. Pulley sliders. They aren't the cheapest but most will agree they are among the best.
Is their a certain weight i should go for?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
Typically the same weight used for the rollers. With the sliders they tend to act like a lighter weight by about .5 oz on my bike. That means you could go with a weight half an oz more to have the same shift rpm.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
Agreed. I went with slider weights and I silicone dry lube mine to keep the lubricant from collecting dust.

TBR125 How many miles since you started using silicone dry lube ? Did you experience any problems since you started using dry lube ?

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 06:10:07 PM »
It was just an experiment. I have run 8,000km since then and I am sure it is gone now. It was good while it was on and didn't collect dust. The ultimate is Teflon coated parts such as some performance variators use. I intend to experiment with the durability of P.T.F.E. on the drive train components in the near future when I replace the variator. Now that I have other transportation this bike will be for science. And fun riding.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 07:28:55 PM »
It was just an experiment. I have run 8,000km since then and I am sure it is gone now. It was good while it was on and didn't collect dust. The ultimate is Teflon coated parts such as some performance variators use. I intend to experiment with the durability of P.T.F.E. on the drive train components in the near future when I replace the variator. Now that I have other transportation this bike will be for science. And fun riding.

Thanks, while it did not cause problems within 8000km I can not think of any reason why it should not be used.
I actually applied a very thin layer of grease on the rollers because I was worried about getting grease on the belt. The scooter covered only 260km since the application and no problems yet. My intention is to open the variator during the next engine oil change within the next 1000km, or maybe sooner if any problems occur.

Anyway, I did a Google search on the subject and I noticed some scooters came with greased roller from the factury, so I am not too worried.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »
Grease could promote flats on rollers if they slide instead of rolling. For sliders it could extend their life span if it decreases wear. The smoothest transmission I have felt was a variator with custom Teflon sliders.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
Typically the same weight used for the rollers. With the sliders they tend to act like a lighter weight by about .5 oz on my bike. That means you could go with a weight half an oz more to have the same shift rpm.
Slider weights....I was informed years ago by a couple of old hand riders in the Philippines that a 13gm Dr P. slider will act like a 14gm roller weight.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »
Do variator slides make a difference as well, i have 2 different types of slides on and they both fit but could this be making any type of difference?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
Thank you Stig. I did get that effect reversed. I apologize.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »
Do variator slides make a difference as well, i have 2 different types of slides on and they both fit but could this be making any type of difference?
Are you saying that of the slides/rollers currently installed, they are not all the same?

perererery

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:23 PM »
rollers are all the same, the slides are different (2 kymco stock and 1 naruku)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()