Author Topic: Torque spring parts!?  (Read 1187 times)

vermiselle

• View Profile
Torque spring parts!?
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »
What is this piece for on the original torque spring?
A restriction?
 I put a new one (polini) and I haven't reinstalled this parts!?

What is it for?

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Torque spring parts!?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »
If you are referring to the metal "cup" on the spring base it serves as a compression guide to keep the spring from folding. Depending on your new spring construction it is unnecessary.
Become the best you can with what you have.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »
It also serves as a flat base for the spring as the stock is built on a wrap not a base ground construction method. In regards to your other question, it should not restrict anything.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
WHOA!  That is an extremely important part of the torque driver!  It must be reinstalled!

It is a cover that slides over the torque driver shaft and keeps the pin in the slots and the grease in the assembly.  Operating without will cause damage!

TBR has this important part confused with an aftermarket anti-friction spring seat - which are made of a hi-temp plastic, or a metal cup with very small ball bearings in it.   Those aftermarket parts fit over the cover that you have pictured.
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »
WHOA!  That is an extremely important part of the torque driver!  It must be reinstalled!

It is a cover that slides over the torque driver shaft and keeps the pin in the slots and the grease in the assembly.  Operating without will cause damage!

TBR has this important part confused with an aftermarket anti-friction spring seat - which are made of a hi-temp plastic, or a metal cup with very small ball bearings in it.   Those aftermarket parts fit over the cover that you have pictured.

dan v., does this video show the part you refer to? 

vermiselle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »
NO, NO
When i remove this parts, under the torque driver i didn't see the pin in the slots and the grease!
The plate was there! This parts was stock on the spring like a bushing...

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »

No, it’s not the cover that slides over the torque driver. It actually gets mounted at the other side of the spring and it press against the clutch housing. The spring on my scooter also has a cup like that.

P.S. Or maybe the spring on my scooter has been mounted the wrong way round before I bought the scooter. When I opened the clutch the first time that cup was pressing against the clutch housing. The bare side of the spring pressed against the torque driver cup / seat. I actually lubricated the seat with a thin layer of grease.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:01:32 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:49:32 PM »
Well - I hope I am wrong on that!  Looking at the Kymco parts manual for that model it looks like there is are similar looking parts on either side of the spring when assembled......

Part 23237 looks like part 23238.

If part 23237 came off then that is the part that has to stay on.  If it is 23238  - well, I have to tell you, I have not seen one of those before.

Look up the Kymco Parts Manual online and tell us what you got!
Grand Rapids, MI

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
Yes - the part being removed in the video is what I figured Vermiselle was showing.

You learn something every day - but a spring seat on the clutch side of the torque spring is unfamiliar to me.

Sorry about calling you out on that TBR - but that looks so much like the part that contains the pins I was concerned that would have been damage if run that way.....
Grand Rapids, MI

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 01:01:05 AM »
No problem! I would rather be corrected than to be responsible for causing damage to someone's transport.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 06:31:02 AM »
By the way - that cup is quite a tight fit into the spring. Right or wrong , when I saw the cup for the first time I thought the cup mainly serve two purposes:

1. Helps preventing dust to gather on the far end (bare part) of the pulley's mains shaft - close to the clutch Housing. The torque driver Housing slides over the bare part of the main shaft towards the clutch housing when the pulley opens at higher speed. The torque driver housing has O-rings to keep grease inside the housing, and to prevent grease seeping outwards towards to bare part of the shaft.
I thought without the cup, clutch or belt dust could gathers on the bare shaft a lot easier - and there would be a possibility that the dust could stick to the bare part of the shaft and even get trapped between the one O-ring and the main shaft. This would make it more difficult for the moving part of the pulley to move sideways.
Although the cup is not a perfect "dust seal", I think it surely helps to keep dust away from the bare part of the shaft.

2. The torque driver has a "shoulder" which slides towards the clutch housing. I thought if the cup was not in place, there would be a possibility that the spring coils might rub against the torque driver shoulder when the torque driver moves sideways. I am not sure whether this is a real possibility.

Right or wrong - I think the cup probably serves a good purpose.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()