Author Topic: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?  (Read 18585 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
Why did we buy a scooter and not a motorcycle?
(I know some of you folks have both...)

But, why a scooter ?

I think age has something to do with it for a lot of us. Maybe we used to have a motorcycle when we were younger, and now have returned to 2 wheels on a scooter.

But, what about you young guys?

Physical limitations - for some, the leg over is an issue.

Image. Scooter riders have a very different image than motorcycle riders.  How we view ourselves - and how others view us on a scoot.

Speed. Scoots usually are slower than bikes, and have less power vs weight. We don't need speed &/or power, for whatever reason.

Price. Scoots are generally a lot cheaper than a bike.

Weather protection from the leg shield. No - I doubt that's a reason for most.

Economy of service and running expenses. Maybe.

Cargo capacity. Maybe - but I doubt it's a big reason.

The Euro Look - the Cosmopolitan Look. Hmmmm.

"Roman Holiday". Wouldn't that be strange.(I look like Audrey Hepburn, with a moustache )

For me: I visited the 2 wheel dealer with my son several times. But I kept being drawn to the far side of the big store to look at the retro looking Metropolitan and Vino and LIKE scooters. Went right past the zoomy, almost sport bike looking scooters - the the retro (Vespa, Lambretta looking scoots) were what interested me - from memories of scoots from my youth. Was surprised to see that I did not have to spend several thousands of $$ (Vespa) to own a nice, reliable fun-looking retro style scooter.
But why did I buy a scooter and not a motorcycle? I liked the image of myself on a scooter - and the price and reliability were right. We also own a couple of Scions. There's a pattern there, somewhere.

What about you guys? Why a scooter?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:21:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

JohnRambo

• View Profile
Re: Why a scooter & not a Motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
I went with a motorcycle over the scooter, glad I did too. 

I started thinking maybe I should have got a scooter for the gas mileage, then I saw the 250's only go 75 mph.  I do a lot of highway riding on my Venox and it still gets 60+ mpg!

Scooters are cool for what they are, supreme gas savers.  But I downgraded from a 600 Ninja to slow myself down, it worked, I'm still alive!

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:24:08 AM »
Pretty easy answer for me. The style as you mentioned, quick in town tossablility and covered storage for packages and my helmet. I had bikes when younger but I always wanted a scooter but back then it just wasn't macho enough. I also like the CVT trans for ease of operation in traffic. I almost considered a Stella but the twist and shift gearbox was a problem for my sometimes arthritic thumbs and wrist. I do like having enough giddy-up with the 163cc engine to ride on the farm roads around here and brief runs on the state highways. I do sometimes miss the tourquey ease of my Beemer though! :D
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »
I just need a bike with a floor and I don't want to shift gears anymore...

Some people buy 50cc scoots because of a revoked or suspended drivers license...  ;D

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:16:17 AM »
For me it was a way to ease my wife in allowing me to get back on two wheels. I had originally planned on a Vespa, but wasn't convinced at the time that a scooter long term was for me. Then the dealer introduced me to the Like. I figured if a scooter wasn't my thing I would only be out about $3,300. But as it turned out I really like riding scooters. I am extremely pleased with the Like and feel it will be with me a long long time. Also, my wife has come around to me riding two wheels. So much so that she has given me the green light on a Harley I've been wanting for a few years. I'm planning to buy a Softail Deluxe come Spring. Even with that the scooter will get a lot of use. It just so much fun to cruise around town and the backroads on one.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:09:35 AM »
Storage space is actually a big reason for me. I like to wear full gear for safety, and I need a place to put my jacket, pants, etc when I arrive. I also like that I can do shopping on my scooter, and Cary things to and from work.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »
Pee-Wee Herman was my hero

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:38:45 AM »
 ;D

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:40:19 AM »
For me, I prefer a scooter over a motorcycle. Scooters are easy tor ride over the bikes which require one to shift gears. Last month I took the Motorcycle Safety Course at the local community college here in Vegas and I was sent home after six exercises. Until that day I never rode manual transmission whether it was a car, motorcycle. I currently ride a Kymco Agility 125cc bike and I love her. All I do is twist and go. By the way I found out from the DMV I do not need a bike with gears to take the road test. As long as I do over 30mph I am good. Scooters are fun. I had 2 cheap piece of crap Chinese scooters and I could not stand. My main concern was them breaking down on me. Now with my current bike, these thoughts are a thing of the past. One other feature I love about my current bike is that it can do 65-70mph on a open throttle which I love. If I decided on a motorcycle it would be those 3 wheel cam-am bikes. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »
When I was younger it was all HD.
Now as an older crip that can't shift due to spastic feet or swing a leg over a bike scooters keep me on two wheels.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
always loved scooters
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
I don`t like a straight drive car either.
Scooters are classy and so much fun.
Nowdays, scooters run and handle like motorcycles without the hassle of shifting gears.
I`m not ashamed of riding my motor scooter, I`m proud to own and ride one.
I sold a nice sport bike and kept my scooter.
I have always loved scooters and always will.

In my area of the USA, I am seeing more and more scooters on the streets. I think that trend will continue.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:41:31 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
   Went the Harley route when I was younger. Now the much lighter weight, auto trans, easier handling, and quiet motor have me sold. Not to mention the much better fuel mileage. I ride my scooter twice as much as I did the Harley. Fun factor 100%
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Half my family is in Italy. When I was younger i would go for the summer. I loved going on scooter rides and seeing them all zoom around the city, going between the cars at red lights, parking wherever they wanted. So when I got me a big boy job, the first thing I got with my paycheck was a LIKE!
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
2011 Kymco Like50 (stolen -> recovered)
PM's OK!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »
The reasons I list are all equally important to the list. Size of the scoot vs. a MC, it fits into my 1 car garage behind my car during bad weather, a MC may not have been able to fit. Affordability 1,600 for an 09' w 700 miles, MPG was the main reason for not taking my car to work.

To a lessor extent the added storage is a big plus, I can grab a few items on my way home from work and store them nicely, milk, some veggies, and eggs all fit without a problem and if I need to carry more I can use the floorboard.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
Automatic - no shifting.
Low maintenance.
Light - easy to handle.
wind protection
Cost - cheaper than a motorcycle.