Author Topic: My neighbor just gave me her People 50 2t for free......  (Read 944 times)

bowton

• View Profile
My neighbor just gave me her People 50 2t for free......
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:42:03 PM »
Hello fellow scooter people.  My neighbor just gave me her old People 50.  Has about 4,500 miles on it. She is the original owner and I know it's probably from early 2000's since the last registration was 2004.  Looks like she bought it at Skuderia in San Francisco.

The scooter has been left outside for the last 15 years with no cover  and has not been started.  It was running when it was parked but has been in the weather this entire time.

I am just starting to take it apart and it would very helpful to get some more information form people on the forum. 

Just to let you know I am experienced at wrenching on things but have ZERO experience with scooters. But I have repaired chainsaws, lawnmowers, cars, I built a small block Chevy last summer so I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

1)  I would love to get a service manual and owners manual if anyone has an electronic copy.
2) Do anyone have a recommended source for parts?  Online is fine.  I live in the San Francisco Bay region.  It will need new seats and probably lots of other stuff.  Carb rebuld kit, tires, lots of stuff.
3) Is Kymco still importing scooters into the U.S.?  Do they have North American operations and will they support an older model like this with OEM parts or is aftermarket the only option.

Thanks.

Barton Courcier
Redwood City, CA
(408) 529-2228

My goal is to make it a reliable commuter.  I am starting a new job tomorrow 3 miles from my house so I figured this woudl be the perfect commute vehicle.

Any suggested references or links you think I will need or value would be appreciated.  So far I did some searching on YOUTUBE but mostly found nothing valuable.  I just wanted to see what it would take to remove the body panels from around the engine so I can get started pressure washing this thing.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My neighbor just gave me her People 50 2t for free......
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
Cyclepedia.com for service manual. You do chainsaws? Poof! You qualified! Three mile commute is doable on a 50 cc. I have no direct experience on your particular model BUT the People design is pretty common all the way to the 300i. So to access the engine room, remove the seat and the tub beneath. There is your engine! You may have a panel just forward of the engine that may come out. Any body joint has tight fitting tabs that lock into slots that must be carefully popped out lest they break. Do not attempt below 70 degrees F or guaranteed they will snap off.

You are going to have to clean out the fuel tank. Very clean! Probably rusty. All vacuum and fuel lines should be replaced. The cylinder should be removed and the rings checked to make sure they are not locked in the grooves, piston and cylinder not scored or rusted.

That will do for a start...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bowton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:28:32 AM »
Thanks Karl.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:46:29 AM »
Good luck on your People project. Keep us informed of your progress. I did a People 150 that was last tagged in 2008 and got lucky, just had to replace a carburetor and clean the fuel tank and of course change the fluids and new battery.  My big advantage was it was stored in a dry garage all those years so it looked like new when cleaned up. Some of my parts I use ebay and find more items in Greese and Italy if not avaliable here.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()